Decisions, decisions...large SUV or minivan?

ADS

DawgDad

Ugh...sorry. As you can see, inventory is not really high right now, but if time is on your side, just keep a look out. Will stay away from that dealership next time when looking. :)

jennzee

Yep, we've got time. Both of our cars are paid off, so we don't even need to stress a ton about the timing of selling the Durango if we opt for a private sell rather than trade-in.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Best situation to be in! Maybe a new one fits the budget by the time December rolls around? Deals are usually pretty good when no one wants to be shopping, combined with consumer incentives, dealer incentives and end-of-the-quarter and end-of-the-year incentives for salespersons to meet for bonuses. If you aren't too picky, you can probably get a remaining 2014 model for less than a low mileage used 2013 model with a clean title. At least around here, Hondas command stupid prices on the used market sometimes, but perhaps used Odysseys are plentiful enough now that it's not that bad anymore.

Honda and Toyota have some insane lease subsidized lease deals, too. Even if a normal lease seems not to make financial sense, if you qualify for one of their advertised manufacturer lease deals, they can be pretty good, especially if you think you might want to switch again in a few years.

jennzee

I think we found one! It was literally still on the truck when we pulled up to the dealership, but it fit all of our criteria and came it at a decent enough price that even with taxes/title/ registration stuff, it hit right at our max budget point. Because they hadn't had time to detail it or ensure that everything was running as expected, it's not a done deal, but they are holding it for us until those things are done...if it checks out, we could have it by the end of next week! I'm still trying to work through the idea of being a mini van owner (darn pride!), but I felt a little giddy putting all of our car seats in for the test drive and actually having space enough in between them that nobody complained about not being able to buckle in easily.

DawgDad

Swagger wagon is just too much still...I'm not sure I can embrace that quite yet!

Embrace the inner swagger...you know you want to...

Honestly, you are making the smarter decision, and last time I checked, it's cooler to be smart than it is to not be...sooo... ;) I predict soon the fad of owning SUVs will wain as more people are thinking "economically" or "logically" about purchases than before, especially young & growing families.

Trust me, after a month it won't even phase you driving around in it because of all the interior creature comforts you never had. Not to mention already nipping in the bud a constant gripe from the back seat. That's worth gold in my book any time I can eliminate whining from the kids.

ks1978

Embrace the inner swagger...you know you want to... Honestly, you are making the smarter decision, and last time I checked, it's cooler to be smart than it is to not be...sooo... ;) I predict soon the fad of owning SUVs will wain as more people are thinking "economically" or "logically" about purchases than before, especially young & growing families. Trust me, after a month it won't even phase you driving around in it because of all the interior creature comforts you never had. Not to mention already nipping in the bud a constant gripe from the back seat. That's worth gold in my book any time I can eliminate whining from the kids.

As an odyssey owner of a month- I agree with all this! I cried on way home from dealership-I love my expedition! It was a hard change, but after a month, the van is growing on me and the kids (age 6,12,15) love the comforts and space of it too. Having them spread out and has been awesome . I also love that we just drove 600 miles straight and used less than $100 in gas!!!!

jennzee

As an odyssey owner of a month- I agree with all this! I cried on way home from dealership-I love my expedition! It was a hard change, but after a month, the van is growing on me and the kids (age 6,12,15) love the comforts and space of it too. Having them spread out and has been awesome . I also love that we just drove 600 miles straight and used less than $100 in gas!!!!

I'm sure I'll be right there with you in a month! I'm definitely looking forward to the gas savings!

DawgDad

I think we found one! It was literally still on the truck when we pulled up to the dealership, but it fit all of our criteria and came it at a decent enough price that even with taxes/title/ registration stuff, it hit right at our max budget point. Because they hadn't had time to detail it or ensure that everything was running as expected, it's not a done deal, but they are holding it for us until those things are done...if it checks out, we could have it by the end of next week! I'm still trying to work through the idea of being a mini van owner (darn pride!), but I felt a little giddy putting all of our car seats in for the test drive and actually having space enough in between them that nobody complained about not being able to buckle in easily.

Well...did you get it?

jennzee

Picked it up Thursday night. Still trying to get used to the feeling that I'm not sitting right on the road...I can only imagine the sound when I run over my first curb! But it drives nice and I'm sure we'll love it. Made our first Costco run with it last night and I DO love that I didn't have to Tetris everything in, only to it all fall out when I opened the gate upon arriving home. Ahhh, cargo space!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC