Where to find safety reviews

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
There are only two agencies in the USA with the resources to crash test vehicles. The IIHS, www.iihs.org, and the NHTSA, www.safercar.gov . They produce two sets of complimentary crash test information.

As you've discovered, many vehicles are not tested. While most mainstream models do often get a full set of testing completed within a year or so of being on the market, many full-size SUVs and high end luxury models are never tested at all. This would be the case of the model you linked above as well.

You can try contacting these agencies. If it is on their list for the next model year of testing, they will usually tell you. Otherwise, my experience is that they do not comment on what they may test in future years.

Unfortunately, that means we just don't know how well many vehicles will perform in a crash. While most new vehicles do reasonably well in crash testing, there are still exceptions in every size category. While I wouldn't want my family in an untested sub-compact or mini car, I would have no issue with them periodically riding in an untested large vehicle.

In the past, I've purchased vehicles before they had a full set of crash test results. Sometimes even safety advocates have other criteria for vehicle selection, too;-)

CarSafetyGuy

Yup, as Darren said, you've basically got the IIHS and NHTSA for testing, and beyond that, it's uncharted territory. However, for the Armada, it's worth noting that the 2005-2008 model years had a driver death rate of 0 and 21 in the 4WD and 2WD trim levels respectively, which means I'd feel quite comfortable with my family in one.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I agree with both posts above. But that being said, I wouldn't buy an Armada with a 3 star rollover rating when the highest rating an SUV can get is 4. There are SUVs with 4 stars, so I'd get one of those. No one else has to share that opinion with me. ;)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Definitely would not be one I would consider as a purchase, either, if only for the atrocious fuel economy.

Vehicles that can't manage 20 mpg on the highway are shameful these days. Many SUVs already get 20 mpg combined now, some even get 20 mpg EPA city mileage. For the same price, you could get a Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 Hybrid, which is pretty roomy for a midsize SUV. It does have a 5-star overall NHTSA rating and Good IIHS moderate frontal and side crash tests, though it is not yet fully tested by the IIHS yet.

http://carseatblog.com/22049/smooth-sailing-2013-nissan-pathfinder-kids-carseats-safety-review/

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC