Question True Fit Use

U

Unregistered

Just got a True Fit for 14 mo. old, 19 lb. dd so we can rf 'til 35 lb. I have a few questions I'm hoping other TF users might help me with:

1. Is it okay to use the height insert even though her head is above the top of it. She LOVES it, but she is a little tall for it.

2. Any Subaru Outback drivers know if it is okay to "borrow" the LATCH hooks from the passenger seats. I would like to do a LATCH install in the middle but our Outback does not come equipped with LATCHes in the center seat (There would be no other carseats in the car, thus the LATCHes would not otherwise be occupied). I know that this is allowed in some vehicles and not others (I'm assuming because of how close or far apart they are), but I cannot seem to find anything about this in my owner's manual. I will keep digging for that answer, but I thought someone may know. We were able to get a tight seatbelt fit with our infant seat, but it is just too loose with this seat, and I REALLY want to keep her in the middle. I am not concerned with liability issues ...I know if the Subaru manual says not to that they could not be held responsible for anything going wrong; I am just interested in doing what is safest no matter what and center just seems safest always if I can get it tight enough. But I'm no expert, so please chime in and let me know.

3. Does anyone know if I can keep her rf in True Fit if I have to use the #3 shoulder height? Manual says "no", but in another post, someone talked to a tech person at True Fit who said you COULD RF in position #3. They also said it could be installed at 35-45 degree angle...did not necessarily have to be 45 degrees even though manual said so (and apparently the manual will be re-written to reflect that).

4. To determine correct harness height position, should I have her sitting straight up or in a more relaxed position that she might be in if she were asleep for instance?

Thanks in advance for help!

ADS

northernmommy

Just got a True Fit for 14 mo. old, 19 lb. dd so we can rf 'til 35 lb. I have a few questions I'm hoping other TF users might help me with:

1. Is it okay to use the height insert even though her head is above the top of it. She LOVES it, but she is a little tall for it.

As long as she is under 22lbs, you can continue to use the infant insert

2. Any Subaru Outback drivers know if it is okay to "borrow" the LATCH hooks from the passenger seats. I would like to do a LATCH install in the middle but our Outback does not come equipped with LATCHes in the center seat (There would be no other carseats in the car, thus the LATCHes would not otherwise be occupied). I know that this is allowed in some vehicles and not others (I'm assuming because of how close or far apart they are), but I cannot seem to find anything about this in my owner's manual. I will keep digging for that answer, but I thought someone may know. We were able to get a tight seatbelt fit with our infant seat, but it is just too loose with this seat, and I REALLY want to keep her in the middle. I am not concerned with liability issues ...I know if the Subaru manual says not to that they could not be held responsible for anything going wrong; I am just interested in doing what is safest no matter what and center just seems safest always if I can get it tight enough. But I'm no expert, so please chime in and let me know.
You cannot borrow the LATCH anchors in this vehicle, sorry:(
3. Does anyone know if I can keep her rf in True Fit if I have to use the #3 shoulder height? Manual says "no", but in another post, someone talked to a tech person at True Fit who said you COULD RF in position #3. They also said it could be installed at 35-45 degree angle...did not necessarily have to be 45 degrees even though manual said so (and apparently the manual will be re-written to reflect that). Since the harness needs to be at or BELOW her shoulders, I'd be very surprised if she needed position 3 yet. My 18mo DS can barely use #2. That said, all torsos are different! Anyhow, the 3rd position CAN be used for RF, so don't worry about it:thumbsup:

4. To determine correct harness height position, should I have her sitting straight up or in a more relaxed position that she might be in if she were asleep for instance? Personally, I do it with them relaxed in the seat, as you don't want to mistakenly set the harness too high, and have it be above their shoulders once they fall asleep or slouch

Thanks in advance for help!

Hope that helps!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would definitely call and clarify on the slot thing before using them.

Learning curve has provided clarification on their website, and the current online manual reflects position 3 being allowed for rf'ing. This is a case where there has been ample amounts of clarification provided to the point that I wouldn't bother calling them.

From what I have seen, the infant padding makes a huge difference in which slot is needed. It absolutely could make a child almost at the 3rd slots, but once it's removed drop the child enough that they're just barely above the 2nd ones. So there's still lots of growing room in the seat at present given that you're still using the padding and you'll gain a bunch of room when it's taken out. :thumbsup:

northernmommy

From what I have seen, the infant padding makes a huge difference in which slot is needed. It absolutely could make a child almost at the 3rd slots, but once it's removed drop the child enough that they're just barely above the 2nd ones. So there's still lots of growing room in the seat at present given that you're still using the padding and you'll gain a bunch of room when it's taken out. :thumbsup:

Good point Trudy, I didn't think of that :doh:

U

Unregistered

Thanks for all of your help with my questions. I feel much better.....but I must say WAyyyyy bummed about the not being able to use the anchors. It makes me want to go buy a different car...*sigh*. Anybody need to buy a 2001 Subaru Outback...hehe.

Just out of curiosity...why IS it okay to "borrow" passenger side anchors in some vehicles but not others? Really honestly just curious...I promise I won't use them :)

northernmommy

I believe it has to do with how the bar that the LATCH anchors are attached to is set up...I'll see if I can remember the graphic I saw once....

They can be like this:
(_______) (________)

Or like this:
(_______)_____(________)

Ie, two shorter bars vs one long bar.

Hopefully someone will correct me if this is wrong!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Just out of curiosity...why IS it okay to "borrow" passenger side anchors in some vehicles but not others? Really honestly just curious...I promise I won't use them :)

The vehicle manufacturers that allow borrowing of outboard anchors to do a center installation have apparently tested it out with child restraints that also allow borrowing and determined it's not detrimental in a crash. The manufacturers that do not allow it have either not tested it out, or have tested it and determined it affected crash performance adversely. Borrowing has to be allowed by both the vehicle manufacturer and the child restraint manufacturer. :)

NannyMom

The vehicle manufacturers that allow borrowing of outboard anchors to do a center installation have apparently tested it out with child restraints that also allow borrowing and determined it's not detrimental in a crash. The manufacturers that do not allow it have either not tested it out, or have tested it and determined it affected crash performance adversely. Borrowing has to be allowed by both the vehicle manufacturer and the child restraint manufacturer. :)

Offhand, do we know of any child restraints that do not allow borrowing?

U

Unregistered

Thank you everyone. Since a newer car with middle latch anchors is not in the works for us right now, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a tighter seatbelt install with our True Fit in our 2001 Subaru Outback. Again, I don't know why, but we did okay with our infant seat, but maybe there are some tricks we could try with this one??

April

Going off on a bit of a bunny trail here....

When we are taling about "infant insert/height insert" in this thread and the OP's original thread, are we talking about ALL of the removable padding, or just the little side pieces. I read my manual over and over and I totally interprested "infant padding" to be the little side pieces. Riley is 35 lbs and I still have that bigger set of padding in. Help please!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Going off on a bit of a bunny trail here....

When we are taling about "infant insert/height insert" in this thread and the OP's original thread, are we talking about ALL of the removable padding, or just the little side pieces. I read my manual over and over and I totally interprested "infant padding" to be the little side pieces. Riley is 35 lbs and I still have that bigger set of padding in. Help please!

The infant insert is the big part that comes out. The head support can still be left on, but the big pad that sits underneath and goes behind the back as well has to come out at 22lbs.

You can see the bottom edge of the padding in this picture:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/snowbird25ca/compass true fit/DSC01328.jpg?t=1225428610

This is the seat without the padding:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/snowbird25ca/compass true fit/DSC01357.jpg

April

The infant insert is the big part that comes out. The head support can still be left on, but the big pad that sits underneath and goes behind the back as well has to come out at 22lbs.

You can see the bottom edge of the padding in this picture:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/snowbird25ca/compass true fit/DSC01328.jpg?t=1225428610

This is the seat without the padding:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/snowbird25ca/compass true fit/DSC01357.jpg

Thanks Trudy. So mine's okay right? It's like this:

IMG_0552.jpg

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the clarification on the padding. I still have not been able to find in the manual where it says you have to take the bigger height insert out at 22 lbs, but I'll take you experts' word on that. DD has a few more pounds to go, but we'll take it out when she gets there. Actually, now that I think of it, I think we may have to take it out now unless we want to go ahead and put the headrest back on because with that padding in place, I think dd MAY be up to that red line.

4BabyUnit

I JUST registered, so I cannot post the three pics I just took yet, but I'm hoping you all might tell me if you THINK, based on my description, that I've done okay here: I finally got my TF install rf in the center position of my 2001Subaru Outback using the seatbelt. There doesn't seem to be an in between...it's either too loose or wayyy too tight..meaning I had to force the red lock offs over the yellow bars that hold the seat belt in place under the car seat's padding. I mean...I really had to force them...I was afraid they would break. I can just barely squeeze my hand between the car seat and the seat back to get my fingers on the lever that loosens the straps. The red line that serves a level is parallel to my car's bottom seat but not the ground. Thoughts on any of these things or any solutions to these problems.

featherhead

Thanks for the clarification on the padding. I still have not been able to find in the manual where it says you have to take the bigger height insert out at 22 lbs, but I'll take you experts' word on that. DD has a few more pounds to go, but we'll take it out when she gets there. Actually, now that I think of it, I think we may have to take it out now unless we want to go ahead and put the headrest back on because with that padding in place, I think dd MAY be up to that red line.

I don't have a manual handy, but I noticed on my niece's True Fit that there is a warning label on the insert that says do not use after 22 lbs (10kg).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC