Adjusting Radian Recline (pic-heavy)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I played with carseats today. :love:

Here's what I've learned about getting a Radian more upright. Pulling it away from the seat-bight does help, it's just not as obvious or easy as it is with other carseats.

In a '97 Chevy Astro with fairly cushy seats, I was able to get it pretty upright both center and outboard (not that it matters much in this vehicle as it's got a lot of room anyway!):

The standard recline:
IMG_1593.jpg

More upright:
IMG_1591.jpg

The standard recline (foot is on seatbelt cover, deep in bight):
IMG_1587.jpg

More upright recline (foot is under seatbelt cover, further away from bight):
IMG_1583.jpg

With the standard recline I can barely squeeze my hand between the front of the foot and the vehicle seat:
IMG_1590-1.jpg

With the upright angle, I've got plenty of room for my hand:
IMG_1585.jpg

My position when installing for more upright:
IMG_1582.jpg

Oh look! My friend just pulled up in his gigantic Dodge dually pick-up with the super cab or whatever Dodge calls it! I bet those seats aren't cushy at all. As the confirmed bachelor yells "Hey, get that thing out of my WORK TRUCK!" ...

Standard recline (driver's seat had to moved forward):
IMG_1597.jpg

More upright (driver's seat in it's usual position):
IMG_1595.jpg

And just to get everything in the same place, here's previously posted pics of when I played with the recline in my Mazda 5:

Standard recline:
IMG_1283.jpg

More upright:
IMG_1284.jpg

It's definitely easier with cushy seats! And I suspect that reclining the vehicle seat (if possible) would help considerably as well, but by the time I got done playing in the truck today, I was too tired to try it in the Mazda 5's reclining seats.

Anyway, I hope someone finds this helpful. :)

ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Nope. Not helpful.

::::mumblingitwouldhavebeenmorehelpfulifmybffwouldhaveinvitedmeovertoplaywithcarseatsmumble::::

Defrost

You're just jealous that I played without you.

ROTFL - I posted right before you added the mumble!!!

Here you go. *passes brain back*

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Yes. Yes I am.

::::grumbleIonlyliveafewminutesaway&couldhavebeenthereinnotimesittinghomeboredalldayonasundaywithwellbehavingkidsjustwatchingmoviesandrelaxingwouldhavebeenmorefuntoplaywithcarseatswithmybffgrumble::::

Defrost

Aww! Well now I have to buy a Nautilus to make it up to you!

(I've still got to try the Radian RF with the seat reclined... and we could always add pics of it in the Sedona...)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
SMOOCH! It makes a lot of sense, just seems nearly impossible with that foot. But you're right, there it is. How very very awesome.

Hmmm, upright Radian and Radians in VW Golfs. Soon that seat will fit everywhere! Once Russ then gets the whole installation thing worked out it'll be perfect. hehe

Wendy

lovinwaves

Are you offering to pay me for a vacation? ;)

I don't know anyone with an Ody or I'd ask to give it a try and take pics for you!

hehe, wouldn't be a vaca where I live though..sorry. lol!

Well, my problem is that my seats are so compressed(at least this is what I am thinking my problem is), that even if I pull the base away from the seatbite I can't get an upright install.

Aidensmom has installed one in a NEW ody and got a great upright install. So I dunno :shrug-shoulders: I mean I *am* capable of doing this (I have done it in other cars), but the Ody is giving me a fit LOL!

Defrost

Aidensmom has installed one in a NEW ody and got a great upright install. So I dunno :shrug-shoulders: I mean I *am* capable of doing this (I have done it in other cars), but the Ody is giving me a fit LOL!

:( That stinks! The only thing I can think to add is that when I'm trying to get it in upright, I'm completely ignoring the back of the seat. It's like I'm trying to install the foot all by itself, and I want to get the foot on its tippie-toes! Getting in behind the seat really helps, because then I can use my hips to really tilt the foot into the vehicle seat.

lovinwaves

:( That stinks! The only thing I can think to add is that when I'm trying to get it in upright, I'm completely ignoring the back of the seat. It's like I'm trying to install the foot all by itself, and I want to get the foot on its tippie-toes! Getting in behind the seat really helps, because then I can use my hips to really tilt the foot into the vehicle seat.

Ok, I will try that!... Thanks for the tip. For the time being we put the Marathon back in there. :) My knees were eating the dash :thumbsdown:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
That is great, now why don't they make that darn foot have more than one position for installation so this isn't such a pain??

Now, I wonder, if SKJP is expecting it to be installed a certain way (as per their foot design), would installing it contrary to that affect the seat in an accident?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
That is great, now why don't they make that darn foot have more than one position for installation so this isn't such a pain??

Now, I wonder, if SKJP is expecting it to be installed a certain way (as per their foot design), would installing it contrary to that affect the seat in an accident?

The foot is only meant to help parents achieve a 45 degree angle. They want to make sure young babies/newborns have the 45 degree angle to keep their airways open. Any angle between 30 - 45 degrees is fine, the foot just makes it slightly more difficult to achieve. :(

arly1983

I will have to try this. I can already get it pretty upright but with this I might be about to get it RFing in the 3rd row....how cool would that be?

LuvBug

nice :thumbsup: this is similar in method to installing the britax seats for upright as well. :hinthint if you wanted to take more pics ;):

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
nice :thumbsup: this is similar in method to installing the britax seats for upright as well. :hinthint if you wanted to take more pics ;):

I was trying to work on this today, but the weather turned yucky and windy. I will post pics when I do ;). You want RN pics correct?

Defrost

I thought we already had a thread with pics of how to install the Britax seats more upright? Or is it just a description? I do have the Marathon back now, so I could make a pictorial of that, too, I suppose, if it hasn't been done already.

Kabes

My DS is in a RF Radian. He is 16 months and about 25 lbs, is it O.K. to install at a more up right position? If it is; I'm headed outside. That would be SOOO sweet. Thanks for the pics.

Defrost

My DS is in a RF Radian. He is 16 months and about 25 lbs, is it O.K. to install at a more up right position? If it is; I'm headed outside. That would be SOOO sweet. Thanks for the pics.

Yes, it is okay to install it more upright for older children. Younger babies need a more reclined angle so that their heads don't fall forward and block their airway, but older kids have enough head control that they don't need to be that reclined.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC