Recline a booster seat?

U

Unregistered

My daughter is in a booster seat, and we plan on taking a long car trip this summer. When she falls asleep in the booster seat, she starts to fall forward. The seats in the van recline, so I was wondering if I could recline the seat slighty and put a towel under the front of the seat. Is this possible? Is it safe? Thanks!

ADS
U

Unregistered

Not an expert here but I believe that the more reclined a seat is the more likely the occupant is to 'submarine', come out from under the seatbelt, in an accident. The belt will be less likely to be as low on the hips as is needed to prevent this from happening.
You might want to consider a high backed booster for your trip. It would provide side impact protection and she could lean against the booster sides while sleeping.
C.

LuvBug

Yes upright is safe. I wouldnt recline her or the seatbelt wont be able to protect her as well. What kind of seat does she have? How old and how big as well?

U

Unregistered

She has a Cosco high back booster. She is 32lbs and 39". Even though she rests her head against the side of the boster, she still falls forward.

scatterbunny

At just 32 pounds and 39 inches she would fit in any number of harnessed seats for 2-3 more years, and being harnessed is not only safer, but it eliminates the sleep issue with boosters.

U

Unregistered

A harnessed seat would help with the falling forward. Even the Husky which has no real 'wings' is enough to hold my dd's head up when she sleeps/
C.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Ditto - try out the CarGo ... it fits very easily in various vehicles, it's comfy, not expensive & has the highest harness slots available in a 40# limit seat. However, there are a number of seats with higher weight limits now too - Fisher Price has a new seat out that harnesses until 55#, Britax has many seats that harness until 65# or even 80#, Sunshine Kids Radian also has a seat that harnesses until 65# & the Cosco Apex has a high weight limit (but I think it's harness slots are pretty low). The least expensive option would be the CarGo, but the Britax Regent would keep kiddo harnessed the longest (my DD uses both & likes both, but because she's a car sleeper I prefer the Regent since she's about the outgrow the CarGo!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC