AO misuse check, please?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
A parent in another forum said:
Anonymous said:
Theres a way to make the back even higher after they grow out of the 3 shoulder slots when the back is down all the way. My oldest is 40 inches and has LOTS of room to grow so I dont think growing room in these is an issue. Then after they are grown out of the shoulder slots with the back all the way extendedup,you use the car shoulder/lap belt in it as a booster.
In response to my explaining to everyone that the top slot is not usable with the harness, only as booster mode -- just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly: isn't she saying exactly what I said *not* to do?! :dizzy: (yes, "Child Passenger Safety Technician" is in my signature there as well)

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hmm, it sounds like it. Although I have to say, even using that unusable position, seems strange that a 40" child would have loads of growing room unless she was short-torsoed. My 38" fairly proportioned dd would've outgrown the AO already about 1/2" ago in torso height (talking about the top usable harness position.) Guess it depends on how you define loads of growing room.

Bah, some people don't want to believe even experts. :whistle:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
YIKES :eek: this person who shall remain nameless responded with venom (!) after I said that it sounds like misuse -- I will not quote anymore, it's not suitable.... But, I have posted more facts & a picture of the warning right on the seat :doh: I'm dropping it now: if she wants to continue being clueless + rude so be it, but I'm pretty sure that at least some people have been convinced by logic & reason :blah blah blah: (A few have PM'd me in thanks :eek:)

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Who Has The Manual

My laptop is being serviced -- hence the delay in sending PowerPoint presentations to those I promised! :( I'm borrowing my dad's old laptop: can't use my CD with all the manuals on it.... Cosco's online system for requesting a manual is really annoying since you have to have the DOM, etc. :scratcheshead: I seem to remember someone here once took a picture of the page in their AO manual explaining the topmost 4th slot being only for booster :eek: Another mama PM'd saying she can't find that info in hers & her 4 year old is using these slots!

Can someone please tell me which page the warning is on :confused:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I don't have access to the manual, sorry. Isn't there a warning imprinted right on the back of the AO saying not to use the top position harnessed? I'm pretty sure there have been posts with a photo showing that warning. Let me see if I can find one...

ETA: Tiffany, here's a post of yours with the photo showing the warning on the back on a 3-in-1 :): http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=128510&postcount=9

Last edited:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
It's not easy to spot it from what others have commented in similar threads with little contrast between the lettering and the shell itself from the photos I've seen. Maybe really bright lighting and a magnifying glass would help. :p Or they're only seeing what they want to see? ;)

bbartlettnfld

Here is the onformation from Page 15 of my AOE manual (Canadian Version)

"Note the higest position is for belt-positioning booster use only.If the harness is below the child's shoulders with the headrest in the highest position, convert the child restraint to a belt positioning booster. Refer to weight and height information (see child Restraint & booster seat Description) to determine if the child has reached the belt positioning booster requirements"

It doesn't however say specifically in the manual not to use the harness in the top slot if your childs shoulders are still below the top slot. See the line about where it says "If the harness is below the childs shoulders with the headrest in the highest position.." It doesn't state very clearly at all not to use the top slot if it is still above your childs shoulders. I think this vaugeness in the manual due to not explicitly saying Do not use the harness in the top slot. is causing alot of misuse.

Also imprinted directly on the seat is "for booster use only" with an arrow pointing to the highest "slots". Its hard to see, I really had to look for it.
BethAnn

singingpond

Yup, I've got that, posted it already -- neither this mama or the original @#$%^* says it exists on theirs....

I have two AO's, 2001 and 2004 DOM, and they both have the little embossed warning in the black plastic on the back of the seat shell. I looked at a 2007 AOE at BRU yesterday (curious about changes in the seat shell and headwing padding), and, sure enough, the same little warning is still there on the back of the shell (although, since the seat now has little front adjust tabs, the chances of anyone ever noticing the embossed warning on the back have dropped even further :mad: ). I'll check for the wording later in my 2001 and 2004 manuals, in case that's relevant to your question, but I know they both had a small (hard-to-find) notation about the top slot.

Katrin

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC