tethers

J

jgsgardneryahoocom

tethers

Help,
I just took my 1996 Toyota Camry to the dealer to have two outboard tether anchors, for my 3 year old and 11 month old, installed and I was told they could not do this. They said there was no structurally sound place to do this. My 3 year old is currently tethered in the center, but her new seat is to large for the center postion. My question is this can a seat be in the outboard location and tethered to the center and if so can two seats be tethered to the same tether anchor?

ADS
C

Caviller

Tethers

You should not use one anchor for two carseats. They are only rated for one.

It is probably not advisible to use the center anchor for an outboard seat unless the owner's manual says this is OK. Still, it would probably be better than no tether at all. Your 11 month old will continue to be safest in a rear facing seat. Since many convertible models go to 30 or 35 pounds, this could buy you another year or longer.

My manual does not have specific information on your model year Camry. It does mention that part #73709-12010 is used. For verification on tether anchor locations, double check your owners manual, try another dealer, or call Toyota at 1-800-331-4331.

Please let us know what you discover on the tether anchors, so future readers with the same car can find the information. Thanks!

U

UlrikeDG

There are outboard anchor locations for much older Camrys!

I had 3 anchors installed in my '89 Camry, and I checked my parents' '91 Camry, and the spots were there in that car, too.

Have you checked the manual? I *THINK* my manual showed the locations and gave the part number (but that was 2ish years ago, and my memory is a little fuzzy now). Your car is new enough that I just can't imagine that it doesn't have outboard tether spots.

G

gjsgardneryahoocom

camry/tethers

I tried the 800 number you gave me and they were unable to help. The gentleman I spoke with said they worked with tethers in school buses and could not advise me as to another contact. He felt that my local dealer was my best source of information.

C

Caviller

Try once more...

I agree with Ulrike. Double check the manual, it's usually under carseat or child restraint or tethers in the index. Otherwise, try another dealer for information, as some have more experience than others. You could also try the toll free number again, and ask for a supervisor.

If you know where the one is for the center, you might look for yourself for the outboard weld nuts from inside the trunk. You may be able to find them on your own, especially if the manual has a sketch and indicates a rough location.

J

jgsgardneryahoocom

camry/tethers

I looked in my manual and it shows that anchors can be installed in all 3 rear locations. So I called a 1 800 number I found on the Toyota website and spoke with an incredibly knowledgeable person who said the dealership was wrong and that she would send them the information on how to install the anchors. Thank you so much for your help without your recommendations I would have just accepted the dealers incorrect information!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC