Custom Car seat covers -- safe?

Uzume2x

When I got my car seats I really spent some time on etsy looking at custom covers. Now that I'm looking at convertibles and I know how hard my babies are on car seats, I really see the value in having a seat cover -- especially if my kiddos will use a seat for a number of years. My son has reflux, 'nuff said.

I've always wondered about the safety of such a thing, though. I would assume that as long as the cover did not interfere with the straps or harness, it would be safe, right?

Here's an example for an infant seat:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/73457017/ebony-iron-works-and-hot-pink-minky?ref=v1_other_1

Thanks

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, they're not safe. They're not approved at all, not flame retardant, and can interfere with the harness, buckle, add bulk, etc.

If you want another cover to have on reserve, order another from the company itself.

Wendy

April

Absolutely a no-go, and it says so in the manual of just about every seat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ladyl

As with any aftermarket product it shouldn't be used. These items have not been tested for safety. Even if the product says "crash tested" there is no way of knowing of it was tested with the seat you are using and what standards they are using.

Uzume2x

Thanks all. Just hanging around the forum has been so helpful!!

Just today, for instance, I realized that their straps weren't adjusted properly. I think the real danger of the rear adjust straps is that they make parents like me think they are to be adjusted as the baby grows, not every time. It's a pain in the butt but I've started to adjust the straps every time because the fit is slightly different depending on bulkiness of clothes, cloth diaper vs disposable, etc. I've been letting them ride with straps that are too loose, thinking it was fine.

Right now, my guys use aftermarket shoulder pads because my son flops his head to the side when he sleeps and my girl is teething and wants to chew on her strap. Are those a no-no?

In the winter, we use a cover, but it slips on over the seat and not in the seat, so it's not in the way of any belts: http://www.target.com/Babys-Cozy-World-Microfiber-Carrier/dp/B000VPNW3G/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The aftermarket strap covers are not good. Your son's head going to the side is not a safety concern. You can use a rolled receiving blanket for a pillow for him on either side.

The cover you have for winter is fine. We call those the shower cap cover.

Wendy

BeautifulChaos

After market shoulder pads are also not considered safe. I've seen some techs here recommend cutting a hole in the toe of a baby sock and using that if the straps are bothering them.If your son isn't complaining I would just leave it be. My youngest's seat doesnt have strap covers and her head flops. Its not leaving marks and she's not complaining (which is good because our harness isn't removable so the sock thing wouldnt work anyway)
I'm having a hard time imagining a child being able to chew on the harness iteself if it is adjusted correctly and tight enough. How old is she and what seat is she in?

Uzume2x

ALmost 7 months in a Graco Snug Ride 32. I don't think the shoulder straps were tight enough. I tightened them today.

What is it about those shoulder pads that isn't safe? Just out of curiosity. I'm going to get crap from the husband when I remove them and I'd like to tell him why.

Here's a link to a pic of the ones I have:
http://www.goldbuginc.com/travel-gear.html

Uzume2x

Okay, I'm looking around and I see that the strap covers prevent proper tightening.
What happens if I tighten the car seat straps first? Am curious.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
They're so long they can either push the chest clip too low, or be scrunched and add bulk under the harness.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC