Those w/ EFTA install experience!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I need your help! I had a mom come in Saturday (that contacted me through craig's list, lol) w/ a ffing EFTA for her 16 mos old. She had read the info and seen the video I had sent her before coming in so was very open to him being turned back rfing. We tried to put him in the middle w/ l/s belt and I could only get the stalk twisted 2x so I couldn't get it tight b/c the stalk kept running into the dumb knob on the side. :) We then tried LATCH outboard, same problem. We then tried the l/s belt outboard w/ 3 twists of the stalk and got it in tight. It was still hitting the knob though, but we thought it would be o.k.

Mom just e-mailed me saying she couldn't get him out that afternoon and she's not sure if it had to do w/ the buckle hitting the knob or not. She went ahead and put him outboard w/ LATCH and tether (this means I did my job well and I'm proud of myself, lol) and he's in nice. She wants him rfing though! So, any ideas? I told her to get a pool noodle and try reclining the seat more (it could go back more safely) to pull the knobs away from the buckle more. She said if that doesn't work for her, she'll come to the check I'm doing on the 10th and see me then. IF this doesn't work, I need ideas b/c I have no idea where to go from here and I hate to have her go get a new seat if she wants to keep him rfing and I also hate to have him ffing when she knows it's safer and wants him rfing. Thanks!

ADS

Shaunam

I never had an issue with getting to the knobs. I did have it reclined a bit more with a towel though, so maybe that helped.

Would it be safe to shove the seat a little off-center (like a couple of inches) and install it so that there's a little more space between the seat belt and the seat so she can get her hand in there to do the knob on one side?

Shaunam

Ok, I just re-read and I think I'm not understanding. She was having trouble loosening the straps or she just couldn't get to the knobs?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
It wasn't loosening. She was able to get to knob easily on the outboard side, but she said it wasn't letting her loosen the knob and she thinks it's b/c it was so close to the buckle on the other side (against the opposite knob). Like it was getting caught on it or something.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Weird, I've never had that issue.

I'd try first pulling the seat out a hair and installing it a couple of inches away from the bight. That'd be my first shot. My second would be a towel or small noodle. No more than necessary since the baby is 16 months old.

Wendy

Shaunam

Well, the knob is touchy, there's no doubt about that. When the seat was rf'ing for DD, I had to push the lever, and turn the knob with my hand (rather than just yanking the straps), then pull the straps out. Hope that makes sense.

solmama

I don't think it's the install. I think it's the seat. EFTA's/Triumph harnesses are really tricky to loosen-the more it's done the easier it seems to get. I've found that pushing on the front/top part of the seat (like in between kiddos feet) and then trying to loosen at the same time works best. Does this help?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I'll pass these on to her. She never had any problems doing it when he was ffing, so she's pretty sure it has to do w/ where the buckle hits it when rfing. Hopefully the little extra recline will fix it.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Also check that the seat is physically in the full recline position. There was a post in the technical forum this past week with the same problem, and I know in that case it wasn't in full mechanical recline. That seems to make a big difference.

(Link to pic of close-up knobs/belt path. This is with LATCH)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3184/2388329857_2036c6bc82.jpg?v=0
More upright: (I can see how the latchplate might get really close with a really upright install, but I honestly don't think I'd want to go more upright than what this picture is... I haven't had ds in it yet, but it's possible it's going to be a bit too upright. The bowl shape of the EFTA makes the angle deceiving. Oh, and when I tested the knobs/harness adjustment when installing it I didn't have any difficulties - it's actually a tiny bit easier because it's further away from the seatback.)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2047/2444666768_c7ab322995.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3280/2444666586_c4608fcea3.jpg?v=0

eta: Link to seatbelt install w/locking clip (and no, I didn't travel with the MA uninstalled, I just snapped the pic before moving the seat back outboard)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2232/2444665970_4a531e15ac.jpg?v=0

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That 2nd pic is kind of what it looked like. That 1st pic though makes me think maybe I didn't have it all the way reclined. :confused: I was pretty sure it was though. Ugh. Hopefully she'll e-mail me and let me know how she's doing or I'll check on her when I get back in town Thurs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC