FF teathered Seat in Honda CRV

D

Dean

FF teathered Seat in Honda CRV

I have a 1997 Honda CRV and a Fisher Price Soft Embrace seat. I want to put the seat in the middle of the back seat but the CRV allows for anchor installation only in the rear RIGHT or LEFT corners of the vehicle. Is it safe to install the tether from a middle seat position to the outside rear position of the anchor?

ADS
C

Caviller

Maybe!

"Best Practice" is that you should generally not use a tether anchor that requires the tether strap to be more than 20 degrees off-center from the carseat. If the owner's manual for the CR-V indicates that it is OK to use one of these outboard anchors for a carseat in the middle rear seat, then it is perfectly acceptable to exceed the 20 degree recommendation.

It is also possible that you may be able to install a third anchor in your CR-V. If so, your owner's manual or dealer might have details on where the weld nut is located. It could be buried under the carpet of the cargo area if it is not obvious on the tailgate sill or ceiling. If such a location does actually exist, you would require Honda part number 82410-SE3-C01 (Anchor Plate).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but the Owner's Manual does take precedence over general industry recommendations. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a CR-V manual:-(

I assume your carseat will be front facing? May I ask the age and weight of your child?

D

Dean

Not Equipped

Unfortuntely, '97 CRV is NOT equipped with a place to anchor a tether in any other place other than the outboard positions. This was confirmed by the dealer, the manual and why I was asking the question. My child is 20 months old and about 30 pounds. Looks like I'll just have to continue to have her positioned on the driver's side. Thanks for your help.

C

Caviller

Does the Manual say...

..anything about using the existing anchors for the center position? There are some vehicles that allow this specifically. You might also check the manuals for newer years, just to see what they say. It's my impression that the CR-V has not yet been changed significantly.

K

kymberlee26

I'd consider...

...putting her passenger outboard rather than driver outboard as this location may be marginally safer in an accident. Too, if there is no one in the passenger seat you should move it all the way forward to lessen the possibility of her hitting her head (or other body parts) on the front passenger seat in the event of an accident.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC