SnugRide in 05 Camry - Install questions - Latch vs. Seatbelt

M

MrRedPants

I know there is no defnitive correct answer to this question, but I will ask anyway:

1. To LATCH or not. Following safety guidelines, in the Camry (and Civic I own), you aren't supposed to use LATCH in center location (i.e. use inner LATCH hooks from each backseat LATCH location). The big question is..IS IT BETTER TO USE LATCH AND INSTALL IN LEFT OR RIGHT, OR IS IT BETTER TO INSTALL IN CENTER AND HAVE TO USE SEATBELT (leading into second question).

2. In trying to do things "right," I am installing the Snugride base in center position. I'm using the center seatbelt which is an over the shoulder belt design. I can get it installed fairly securely. Graco recommends using the locking clip (gold thing) on the seatbelt to keep it from slipping, however their instructions on how to get this done either don't make sense or I'm not doing it right. They say to buckle the belt with the base in place and pull it tight, then hold the shoulder and lap belt together, unbuckle, place locking clip in place, and they rebuckle it. Well, after pulling it really tight, it's next to impossible to REbuckle the belt once I unbuckle it.

Any advice on either issue would be great, thanks.

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
1. Using LATCH or not depends on which way gets you the best fit.

2. As for using the seat belt with the SR base, reports from others are that it is tippy. You are putting the locking clip on right. Buckle, unbuckle, add clip and rebuckle. Try having someone else push down on the base while you rebuckle.

FYI too--- don't know if you have done this or not, but try to make sure the seat is level before securing the base. But then again pushing the base in with the belt could change the levelness(is that a word???) of the seat.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much.

Susan

M

MrRedPants

Not confusing at all, thanks.

The LATCH question - clearly it will fit well (better) if i put the car seat in the left of right position using latch - just dont know what takes priority - latch or center position (if one or the other).

It's just a tad aggravating that the recommendation is the center position, but the car manufacturers are unable to make a convenient way (i.e. LATCH) to install it there. I know the seat widths are generally not wide enough, but, there's got to be a way (just a rant)

SPJ&E

When my son was very small, he rode in a Graco Snugride, buckled with a lap belt, in the center of the backseat. I don't remember it every being tippy or anything like that. Now that baby #2 is on the way, my son's Marathon is in the center, rear-facing (as it has been for months) and the baby's carseat (Graco Snugride) is installed outboard with a lap/shoulder belt and locking clip. It's very solid, but it could be because it's crammed between the Marathon and the car, lol.

The best choice for you, as far as LATCH vs. a seatbelt goes is whatever you get the best installation with. I personally, would do as you are doing, try the center seat first and then resort to one of the outboard seats if necessary.

I also agree that you are doing the locking clip right. You may have to use your knee and your body weight to push down on the base while rebuckling. It can be really hard to do, as you obviously know! What I always do, if I can't get it buckled, is take the clip back off, loosen the seatbelt just a little bit (very little), put the locking clip back on, and then buckle it. It's still not easy to get buckled, but it does buckle.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'll agree with everyone here :).

1. Try the center with the seat belt first.

2. If you're using a locking clip, it should be hard to rebuckle it. This is where technique helps. Put your weight on the side of the base opposite of the buckle near or on the belt path and keep the seat belt (with locking clip attached) in the belt path. As you aim the latchplate toward the buckle, roll your weight across the base to the other side until your weight forces the base down toward the buckle. That should put the latchplate right into the buckle. It may take a try or two and you may need help. If you can't get it after doing it a couple of times, try loosening the locking clip a smidge.

Then, once the belt is buckled, adjust the base so it's flat. Be sure not to lock the retractor on the seat belt (by pulling the seat belt out all the way) or you'll have to repeat the whole unpleasant process over again :D.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Sam and Pacey-- What is making the seat tippy is that he is using a lap/shoulder belt instead of a lap belt only.

Infant seats have good side impact protection, so if you need to move it to the outboard position to use the LATCH for a better install. It really is okay.

As far as car manufacturers putting LATCH in the center, some are. I have an 05 Malibu Maxx and I can use LATCH in the center, but I can't use all 3 LATCH positions at the same time because 2 positions share an anchor. If I'm not mistaken the government guideline is that they have to put in 2 LATCH positions and the out board positions are easiest...so that's what they do.

Susan

U

Unregistered

I know that this thread is old, but this may help someone searching at a later date.

Just an FYI-in the camry (and most other newer cars) you generally don't need the locking clip. We have an older camry, and when installing the snugride, I was able to get a tighter install w/out the locking clip. Instead, thread the belt through the base, buckle, pull tight, then pull hte shoulder portion of the seatbelt out all the way until the belt itself locks (like it does sometimes when you lean over too far while wearing it), then releasing and pulling tight (knee in base, using both hands tight).

In our "98 camry we had a problem with the seatbelt stalk being so long that when we tightened the belt, the stalk came up and nearly into the belt path, interfering with the install. Now I know that you can twist that seat belt stalk a couple of times to shorten it, thus keeping it from pulling so far up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC