Can someone explain these crash test reviews?

ADS

ProudMomof5

hmmm... very true. thanks..
So what about all the other stuff? It just seems that not a whole lot was done to test this vehicle.. of course I don't know how much is normally done to test a vehicle.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
From what I can see, in 1998, side impact testing was only done on passenger cars. Not on vans, SUVs or trucks. Also, you won't see a rollover rating as they started doing that for for 2001 model years (but not every vehicle). It doesn't seem that the Expedition had any less testing done than other vehicles, I think it's just that there was less testing done in general in '98.

Also, from what I can tell, it doesn't seem as if the IIHS has tested any large SUVs (there's no Expedition, Tahoe, Navigator, and they don't list large SUVs as a class of vehicle with tests), only small and midsize. Not sure why.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I see this in their FAQ

Does NHTSA have crash data on vehicles made before 1990?
NHTSA began frontal crash ratings in 1979, so there is crash information available on vehicles starting in that year. Information prior to 1990 is archived, and is not listed on the web. This data is available to consumers. Send an e-mail to crash.test@nhtsa.dot.gov with the year, make, and model of the vehicle to obtain the crash information.

They do seem to list the '89 Expedition on the web, so not sure if they have any additional data, but it couldn't hurt to email them and ask. The won't have rollover ratings though, as I said, that wasn't started until '01.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
One other thing, they did test the rollover rating of the Expedition in '01 and '02, and it got 2 stars :eek: It also got a 5 star frontal rating that year, and in '98 it was 4 star, so I am thinking that there were some changes from '98. They didn't test rollover again until '06 when the ratings were starting to get better, so must have been more changes then.

I guess my point is, the older generation Expeditions seem to have a high rollover rate.

Last edited:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
So, that is a good thing then, right?

Man, the more I look into all this stuff the more freaked out I get!
I guess what I meant to say was high rollover RATE (not rating!). So, no, it's not exactly good. A 2 star rollover rating means it has a higher chance of rollover in an accident. 5 stars is the best, and an SUV can't get higher than 4 due to the higher centre of gravity than a car, so they will always have a higher chance of rollover than a car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC