infant seat in '97 chevy extended cab pickup

B

brieber

infant seat in '97 chevy extended cab pickup

We are trying to mount a rear-facing seat in our extended-cab pickup (full-size). Anyone out there have advice on this? There doesn't seem to be enough room unless we put it in the middle, which works ok if we use the metal clip to maintain tension on the belt. Is this a safe position, though?

ADS
C

Caviller

You may need to see a local technician

The middle seat is the preferred location, as long as the seat fits properly.

Your vehicle is new enough that it should not need a locking clip. I'm guessing you have just a lap belt in the center rear seat. If so, it should have a latchplate (the part that you plug the buckle into) that cinches on the belt to keep it tight. Depending on the carseat, you do sometimes have to flip the latchplate on its back to keep it tight. There are some cases you might need a locking clip, but these are not too common for newer vehicles.

Also see:

www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

If you still have trouble, it would be best to visit a certified local technician or fitting station. There are some resources to find help in the "FAQ" link under the banner at the top of the page.

Good luck!

B

brieber

thanks for the advice!

Yeah, it is the newer type of seatbelt, but it wasn't staying tight... the buckle would sit right on the "corner" of the restraint's seat belt tunnel and would loosen when the seat was jiggled.

You're idea of turning the belt over sounds like it will work well, though. I'll give it a try as soon as I can, as this would be much more convenient than having to rely on the metal clip.

I'm glad to hear that the middle seat is the preferred location. There is very little room behind the front passenger seat, so much so that the passenger would just about be eating the dash board. (Not exactly safe, either!) Is the middle always preferred because of the risk of side-impact collisions?

C

Caviller

I hope that helps you!

Flipping the latchplate on its back can solve the exact problem it sounds like you are having. When the latchplate is halfway into the seatbelt path on some carseats, the seatbelt enters at a right angle and won't cinch. Flipping it may help keep it tight, though on some models it wont latch at all that way, or the arm on the latchplate is too stiff to flip it over. In those cases, you will have to use the metal locking clip. The site I linked gives good instructions on their use.

The center rear is the first location we try, exactly for the reason you mention- side impacts. In some cars, a carseat won't fit real well in the center rear, and in that case we prefer an outboard position.

Trucks usually aren't very carseat or kid friendly, but the newer full size extended cab trucks are a lot better than other models. I hope everything works out, please let us know if you have any more questions!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC