Question Subaru Outback middle seat install

L

LISA 5328

I am thinking of buying a 2014 or 2015 Subaru Outback Wagon. I was hoping to install my Diono Radian GXT carseat rearfacing in the middle seat. Is this safe? I think it would have to be with the seatbelt, as I think the LATCH is only on the side seats. I have also been told by Subaru that they don't recommend middle seat install - is that b/c there is no LATCH?

Also, is the middle seat really safer?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi Lisa,

Subaru allows for installs in the middle, though they don't recommend it based on outdated info (the 1998-2003 generation middle was terrible for installs, especially with the seats of the era. Nowadays they've fixed their backseat and seats are easier to install). You have a top tether, and a couple of years ago they had a carseat only related recall for the center, so you're good in the middle with the seatbelt.

You shouldn't have too many issues getting it in, though an angle adjuster will be your friend in any rear seat.

The middle seat is 43% safer, all things being equal. That doesn't mean the sides are 57% safe and the middle 100% safe, it means the sides are 100% safe and the middle is 143%.

Wendy

cweiley

Hi there,

I would really encourage you to try your seat in the position intended before purchase. We just bought a 2014 Outback and LOVE it however we couldn't get a good tight seatbelt install on a Radian RXT in the middle position because of the very floppy belt stalk and lack of lock offs. I'm not saying it can't be done but I would try to make sure you can do it before you purchase. Thankfully we were able to return the Radian but I would have been pretty bummed if we had to move DD outboard because we couldn't.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You don't need lockoffs in the middle, the belt locks perfectly.

It's a harder install than other seats, but it's not terribly difficult in any rear position in a Subaru.

Wendy

aguafresca

I'm just a parent and we have an '05 Outback, but we've installed Radians a lot in there. RF in center is possible with an angle adjuster. It's still fairly reclined. RF with angle adjuster outboard is much more upright. Either way, an angle adjuster is super helpful. Not sure how different an '05 is from the models you are looking at though.

cweiley

You don't need lockoffs in the middle, the belt locks perfectly. It's a harder install than other seats, but it's not terribly difficult in any rear position in a Subaru. Wendy

I'm glad to hear others haven't had this issue. I'm just a parent and don't know all the tricks, I just know with the belt locked as tight as we could get it (with one of us compacting the seat and the other ratcheting the belt) the Radian still slid about two inches in any direction. We did not try with the angle adjuster though. Given that the safest seat is one that you can install correctly the Radian wasn't for us so I think it's worth the OP to make sure he/she can install it correctly before purchasing!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm glad to hear others haven't had this issue. I'm just a parent and don't know all the tricks, I just know with the belt locked as tight as we could get it (with one of us compacting the seat and the other ratcheting the belt) the Radian still slid about two inches in any direction. We did not try with the angle adjuster though. Given that the safest seat is one that you can install correctly the Radian wasn't for us so I think it's worth the OP to make sure he/she can install it correctly before purchasing!

For anyone else reading, there are a couple of options here.

First, you can try twisting the female end of the stalk, where the seatbelt buckles into. ESPECIALLY for the older Subarus, where that stalk was unbelievably long. In newer Subarus they have shortened it. You can twist it up to three full turns.

Second, try unbuckling the locked belt, let it click back a click or two (literally just a couple of clicks), then rebuckle it.

These tricks can work for many seats in most cars, not just Radians in Subarus. But for anyone coming to read this, especially in the future, who is having trouble, those are some tricks.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

I'm just a parent and we have an '05 Outback, but we've installed Radians a lot in there. RF in center is possible with an angle adjuster. It's still fairly reclined. RF with angle adjuster outboard is much more upright. Either way, an angle adjuster is super helpful. Not sure how different an '05 is from the models you are looking at though.

We also have a 2005 Subaru Outback and until now we've used our Chicco Keyfit 30 behind the passenger seat because of the hump in the middle seat. Now our daughter is about to outgrow the Keyfit and we're trying to find a RF convertible that will fit either behind the passenger seat with enough room for a passenger to sit there comfortably, or, more ideally, fit in the center seat (with both front passengers seated comfortably).

It seems like you've been able to make the Radian work in the center with an angle adjuster- does your center seat have a hump? Does the angle adjuster neutralize the unevenness of the hump? Also, are you able to use the LATCH system with the center install or do you just use the belt?

Any other suggestions for RF carseats that would work well in an 05 Subaru Outback would be appreciated. It sounds like people commonly have trouble fitting them in the 05 Outbacks. Thanks so much for your help!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How heavy is your daughter? Do you have a budget?

You can't use LATCH in the center of your Outback. Subaru doesn't allow it.

Wendy

Persimmon

I have heard that the 2015's have a fused buckle stalk on the center and driver's side. Not sure about the 2014's. That doesn't necessarily cause a problem for car seats. Subaru seems to have figured out that their back seats used to he terrible for car seats and now they are nice and flat all the way across.

U

Unregistered

How heavy is your daughter? Do you have a budget?

You can't use LATCH in the center of your Outback. Subaru doesn't allow it.

Wendy

My daughter is only 18 pounds, but she's 29.5 inches, so almost too long for the Keyfit 30 that we have now. She's almost 14 months old.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
In that budget for a new seat for her I'd look at the Graco 4Ever, Chicco NextFit, Diono Radians/Olympia/Pacifica/Rainier with angle adjuster, Graco Headwise/My Size/Fit4Me/Size4Me, Graco Contender, Evenflo SureRide/Titan 65, and Safety 1st Guide 65. THe Guide will be rather reclined until 22 pounds.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

In that budget for a new seat for her I'd look at the Graco 4Ever, Chicco NextFit, Diono Radians/Olympia/Pacifica/Rainier with angle adjuster, Graco Headwise/My Size/Fit4Me/Size4Me, Graco Contender, Evenflo SureRide/Titan 65, and Safety 1st Guide 65. THe Guide will be rather reclined until 22 pounds.

Wendy

Thanks so much, Wendy! I'll let you know what we decide on.

cweiley

Thanks for the tips, Wendy! I wondered about twisting the belt stalk. I'll have to try both of those if need be on our next install. I'm hopefully ordering a Fllo tomorrow!

aguafresca

We also have a 2005 Subaru Outback and until now we've used our Chicco Keyfit 30 behind the passenger seat because of the hump in the middle seat. Now our daughter is about to outgrow the Keyfit and we're trying to find a RF convertible that will fit either behind the passenger seat with enough room for a passenger to sit there comfortably, or, more ideally, fit in the center seat (with both front passengers seated comfortably).

It seems like you've been able to make the Radian work in the center with an angle adjuster- does your center seat have a hump? Does the angle adjuster neutralize the unevenness of the hump? Also, are you able to use the LATCH system with the center install or do you just use the belt?

Any other suggestions for RF carseats that would work well in an 05 Subaru Outback would be appreciated. It sounds like people commonly have trouble fitting them in the 05 Outbacks. Thanks so much for your help!

Sorry, just now seeing this. We also used our Keyfit behind the driver and liked how it fit there. Yes, our Outback has a hump, but installing the Radian RF in the center seemed to be fine. So these are the seats we've had rear-facing in there, all outboard: TrueFit Premiere, CompleteAir, Scenera, and various Radians, but only with angle adjuster. We can't get Radians to install tightly at all RF in our Outback without the angle adjuster. There is not a lot of room for the passenger with the TrueFit or Complete Air installed - by far the Radian with angle adjuster is what left the passenger with the most space. DH and I are very, very thankful that the angle adjuster is now available, because RFing the other seats in there meant we road pretty uncomfortably. I definitely suggest Radians with AA in the Outback.

As far as the center goes, we've only had a Radian with angle adjuster RF in the center. It is installed well. Not sure how other seats would install in the center. You can't use LATCH for the center seat, so we've only installed there with the seatbelt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC