Carseat shopping

U

Unregistered

I am pregnant with #4 due in October. My Britax RA is just over 5 years old (my 2.5 year old is in it right now). I also have a Wizard that expires this summer for my 5 year old who is only in the low 30s for weight. In terms of the baby, I loved my RA with my 3 kids except for when they were newborns and they just didn't quite look like they fit well and definitely slumped. I never used an infant seat, and would prefer not to- my kids always have screamed because they can't see out in them and are rolled up. I wanted to buy a Decathalon with #3 but budget and the fact that at the time we were 3 across in an Accord meant we kept the Wizard, RA, and added a Britax booster (can't remember the name of it). So, as you can see, I have used Britax exclusively. I hear good things about Sunshine kids carseats, but the tall during rear facing bothers me because we are in the minivan now and the front passenger needs to be able to scoot back away from the dashboard so I am leaning back towards the RA. I have to buy 3 carseats in the next 9 months- first I need to replace the Wizard with something. I don't think my 5 year old is ready for a booster. She is short and a fly away weight-wise. Then I need the seat for the baby in Oct. Then I need to replace my RA for my 2.5 year old (she will be 3.5 when I replace the RA). She is taller and weighs average. What are your suggestions?

ADS

skaterbabs

While I understand your desire to stick with Britax seats, they just do not fit newborns well. You need a convertible seat with low harness slots so that the harness is at or below the baby's shoulders. The Radian is good for that, as is the Evenflo Triumph Advance and the Cosco Scenera. There are others, but right now I'm blanking on which ones are good for new babies.

natysr

I believe the True Fit may also be a good choice for the new baby.

You may want to look into a Britax Frontier or a Graco Nautilus for your 5 year old.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I think the True Fit would be ideal for your newborn. It fits newborns well, and has a removable headrest so that it will be a good fit behind your passenger seat, probably similar to the RA, but will last longer because once your baby is older, you add the headrest and get more growing room (similar to the Marathon's growing room).

It also has lock-offs just like the Britax seats you're used to, and although it does not have a rear-facing tether, it is supposed to be coming out in a newer model with an anti-rebound foot sometime this year.

Maedze

I agree with Debbie, I think you would like the Tru-Fit for your newborn.

Britax Frontiers or Graco Nautiluses for your older two would be a good choice.

U

Unregistered

Thank you. I really like the look of the True Fit. I will look further at that one... nice that it isn't nearly $300 too...
Back to the Frontier and the Nautilus- I have looked at those. Other than price, what are the pros and cons of each of them?
Marisa

Thank you. I really like the look of the True Fit. I will look further at that one... nice that it isn't nearly $300 too...
Back to the Frontier and the Nautilus- I have looked at those. Other than price, what are the pros and cons of each of them?
Marisa

I don't have personal experience with either of the seats, but IIRC the Frontier has a taller high-back booster height limit than the Nautilus but can't be used as a backless. The Nautilus can be used without the back when the child is too tall to use it as a high back booster. Also IIRC the Frontier is a bit deeper in the seating area.

skaterbabs

We ultimately went with the Frontier because it is significantly taller as a high-back booster. As in, I'm 5 ft 8 in tall and I could almost comfortably use it. :love:

The Nautilus has slightly higher top harness slots, so if you have a very wiggly or very young child with a long torso, that may be the better choice for you.

Also, the Frontier's installation can be a bit funky.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC