Help with car seat decision.......

R

razorshaq

Help with car seat decision.......

I have a 4 year old (33lbs.) and a 1 year old (19lbs.). We still have the 1yr. old facing backwards, but realize we will need to turn her forward facing before long. My future needs will be getting a booster car seat for the older child and a toddler seat for the younger child. Instead of buying two new seats, I have hoped to use my current toddler seat for the younger child, and just buy a booster car seat for the older child. My problem is I don't think the older child will be big enough to be ready for the booster seat when the younger child needs a forward facing seat. Any suggestions? Do they make a booster seat that will work for a child in the 30lbs. range that would also work when she gets a lot larger?

Thanks in advance.

ADS
R

Robert

Re: Help with car seat decision.......

There are plenty of booster seats for your 4 year old. Quite of few start at 20 pounds and go up to 80 pounds. You will need a booster seat with a harness system. Use the harness system for your 4 year old until 40 pounds. At 40 pounds you will remove the harness system and use it with just the lap and shoulder belts.

C

Caviller

A couple suggestions-

First, please keep your youngest rear-facing as long as possible. Many convertible carseats have rear-facing limits of 30 or 35 pounds, which means you may be able to keep them rear-facing through 2 years old or longer. See:

www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

Also, for your older child, you might consider this seat:

store.yahoo.com/dmart2/fispric20car.html

It is one of the few models that use a harness above 40 pounds. This one is recently discontinued, and very hard to find. This might be the last chance to buy a new one retail.

As Robert said, most companies make "Combination" booster seats that have an internal harness that is used through 40 pounds, then you remove the harness and use the booster after that. Those would also work well in your situation.

Good luck!

B

bookwormz

Re: A couple suggestions-

Thought I would recomend the one we just bought. The Cosco Summit High Back Booster. It goes from 22-100 pounds with adjustments. Got it at WalMart. Hope this helps.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC