Convertible seats for tall infants?

M

moby

Convertible seats for tall infants?

I've read through some of the posts on convertible seats and was wondering if anyone had recommendations as to which convertible seats were best for tall infants (our 5 month old is now 27-28 inches)... We actually purchased the Evenflo Triumph but after seeing him sit in it, we worry that he'll be too tall for it well before he turns one... We didn't really care for the Alpha Omega and the only other tall convertible seems to be the Marathon... any other seats we should be considering? (Does anyone even know what the rear-facing height limits are for the Triumph - no instruction manual and it doesn't seem to say on the box. Is it the standard "one inch from the top?")
Thanks!

ADS
C

Caviller

I think you've listed the top choices-

Other than the Alpha Omega, the Marathon may be the only other option for you. There have been a variety of complaints about it, but it does have extended height and weight ranges.

If a rear-facing height limit is not listed in the manual, here is the rule of thumb from the American Academy of Pediatrics:

"If a car safety seat accommodates children rear facing to higher weights, for optimal protection, the child should remain rear facing until reaching the maximum weight for the car safety seat, as long as the top of the head is below the top of the seat back."

The one-inch rule is a more conservative limit adopted by many technicians and advocates.

Darren

T

tiggyrn

What about an Accel/ComfortSport? (m)

This seat has a really tall back. They are Century seats. The Accel is without LATCH--probably the only place you are going to find them lurking about is a TRU or BRU on the closeout rack--they don't make it anymore because it doesn't have LATCH. The Comfort Sport is basically the same seat with LATCH. It is a bit more padded and has a cup holder. You can get this one at most WalMarts...I think it runs $70 or so.

Hope that helps!

Sherry and Katie (21 mo in a FF tethered RA)

S

Sherri

Britax Marathon

Hi. You mentioned that there were a lot of complaints about the Britax Marathon. I'm thinking of buying one, but before I do, what are some of these complaints? My daughter is 7 1/2 months, 20 lbs and 30inches, so we'll need a tall seat. Thanks for your help!

Sherri

C

Caviller

Hi-

Please check your email, too, I just sent you a reply:)

There have been some complaints about the Marathon if you browse or search various online forums. Nothing major, really, and mostly because I think it didn't quite live up to the excellent standard set by the Roundabout. Most of the issues seemed to be that the harness system wasn't quite as easy to use, or that the manual wasn't quite as clear. Ulrike owns a Marathon, so perhaps she can comment, too.

Despite any minor shortcomings, I think it is an excellent choice because of the extended weight limits. Rear-facing is extremely safe ( www.car-safety.org/rearface.html ), and the Marathon is the tallest of all the convertibles and has a RF weight limit of 33 pounds. Plus, it can forward face up to 65 pounds, which is beyond most other convertibles, too. Add in features like the EPS foam around the head and the tether that can be used front or rear facing, and you have a seat that should be very safe and last a long time, too.

Good luck!

U

UlrikeDG

Marathon complaints...

There were still some kinks in the seat that needed to be worked out when Britax released it last September. For example, the velcro on the straps was positioned in a way that made it very difficult to get the straps tight on an infant. The very first shipment did not come with "comfort pads" to go over the HUGS, but later shipments did. Some people have found that the seat is too narrow for their 4-6 year olds' shoulders. These complaints have all been taken care of.

If you get a newer seat, it comes with straps that have the velcro in a better position, and Britax sent out free replacements to those who had older versions and called to complain. Newer seatscome with the "comfort pads" and if you have an older seat, you can order a free set online through the Britax website. If your child's shoulders are too wide for the seat, you can also order a free replacement for the EPS foam which has cut-outs for the child's shoulders. (You need to send a copy of your receipt to get the comfort pads & modified EPS foam.)

Other complaints, have not been (or cannot be) resolved so easily. For example, the harness adjuster is *very* difficult to use. Those of us used to the true "one tug" adjuster on the Britax Roundabout, this is even more frustrating. If the harness is too loose, the child could be ejected in a crash, and the harder it is to tighten the harness, the more likely it is that there will be too much slack in the harness. Additionally, I expect more from a seat I paid $254.63 for (including shipping). And, I expect Britax to live up to their own standards as well. (I've owned 2 other Britax seats, and the super easy to use harness adjuster was one of the best things about them.)

Some people find that the HUGS also make the harness harder to adjust. HUGS aren't necessary when the seat is rear facing, and I'm using my seat RF right now, so I can't compare. The HUGS *must* be used front facing.

Finally, Britax seats have a cushion that goes between the buckle and the child. The one on the Marathon constantly falls off! I'm sure they did this in response to complaints that the cushion on the Roundabout was "too hard" to remove (many parents didn't read the instructions and couldn't figure out how to take it off on their own), but this is just ridiculous. They went too far in the other direction, and it makes the cushion a nuisance rather than a benefit. Several parents have said that theirs either rides around on the floor of the car or has gotten lost.

The Marathon does have twist-free straps, EPS foam, built in locking clips, a tether which can be used RF, a seatback which is very tall, making it a good choice for extended rear facing (my 34 month old daughter is using the seat rear facing right now), and a 65 lb front facing weight limit. The problem isn't that it's not a great seat, but that it doesn't live up to what I've come to expect from Britax.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC