Sticky vehicle situation- need new seats

Polola0628

So DH & I were talking, and since he's selling his beater car, we'll have a little bit of money to use for (two new) car seats. There's no way around this so we need to get new seats.

Current seats:
Radian XTSL
Classic Marathon

Children in them:
3yo- 16" torso, ~35lbs (varies really but it's about right. she's due for a torso growth spurt also...)
15mo- 12" torso, 18lbs

Vehicles:
1995 Ford Explorer
-Obviously no lower anchors
-No top tethers, but there are two cargo hooks in the back.. can I use those?
-Can NOT use the passenger side 2nd row seat because of a torn seatbelt
-No third row
-Only the center lap belt locks- the one on the passenger side does not lock, and I'd prefer something with lockoffs for that position
-The passenger side seat has to be a FFing one. DH is very tall (taller than the front seatback) and in a crash hitting his head on the shell of a RFing seat would not be ideal. FFing only that position.

2002 Ford Explorer (No lower anchors, but has top tether anchors)
-seats need to be installed one outboard passenger side and one center. The center one cannot be too wide because the outboard driver's side 2nd row seatback needs to be able to fold down so people can get to the third row)
-Will need to puzzle with a now FFing Scenera (outboard driver's side) 1x/wk)

Any ideas?

ADS

tarabelle

you can have tether anchors retrofitted into the 95, but you can't use the cargo hooks as tether anchors.

What's the problem with the seats you have now? A Radian can be used FF without a top tether and a MA is a good choice for RF in the center position, and they puzzle well together. I'd use those in the 95 Explorer. Is there no headrest for the driver's seat in this vehicle?

In the 02, maybe a radian for where the flip down is?

Polola0628

I should have clarified- we need an extra set of seats because we'll be using two cars, and swapping won't be an option because DH will be dropping myself & the kids off somewhere, and his mother will be picking us up with the other vehicle. Frequently.

The 95 explorer's seats don't have separate headrests- the headrest is part of the seat back, and he's taller than it. Both seats behind that seat RFing poke up a bit onto the top of the front seat's "headrest".

tarabelle

OK that makes sense then

I would still do the Radian outboard in the 95 and the MA RF in the center. Look into getting the tether anchors retrofitted though. If you're going to use the MA FF you will need the tether anchor in the center since it's just the lapbelt.

Any chance of replacing that ripped seat belt?

In the 02, the Scenera is in the passenger's outboard, right?

I take it this is your MIL's truck? If so, can you use the 3rd row for your two kids?

Polola0628

OK that makes sense then

I would still do the Radian outboard in the 95 and the MA RF in the center. Look into getting the tether anchors retrofitted though. If you're going to use the MA FF you will need the tether anchor in the center since it's just the lapbelt.

Any chance of replacing that ripped seat belt?

In the 02, the Scenera is in the passenger's outboard, right?

I take it this is your MIL's truck? If so, can you use the 3rd row for your two kids?

In the 02 the Scenera would be in the Drivers side outboard IF I were to keep our kids' car seats in the passenger outboard & center. I want to avoid putting my kids in the 3rd row because if it's just MIL taking care of them (which will also happen often) she'd have a heck of a time getting them in there.. she has some physical limitations.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
tarabelle said:
OK that makes sense then

But she wants built-in locking clips for the outboard seats. Also a top tether is not required even if just installing with a lapbelt. I would put the rf in the middle position though.

1995 explorer - rf scerena (40# version), ff ma

2002 explorer - rf radian and a meastro

The scerena and meastro would cost you $130 total.

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids

Polola0628

But she wants built-in locking clips for the outboard seats. Also a top tether is not required even if just installing with a lapbelt. I would put the rf in the middle position though.

1995 explorer - rf scerena (40# version), ff ma

2002 explorer - rf radian and a meastro

The scerena and meastro would cost you $130 total.

Thanks Stefanie, however, my 3yo's torso height is 16", and she's over the top slots of the Scenera (so she cant FF in it) *and* she's over the top of the shell (so she cant RF in it either) :(

I'd also like to get seats for the sake of longevity.. I was thinking *maybe* this...

95 Explorer:
Outboard Driver's Side: Frontier85 for DD1 (I know it doesn't have lockoffs but I guess I can manage the locking clip...and Albee has them on sale right now :thumbsup:)
Center: RFing marathon for DD2

02 Explorer
Outboard Passenger: ??? for DD2
Center: RFing Radian for DD1 (nice and narrow!)

So now the following two questions remain:
-Which seat should I get for DD2 in the 02 Explorer?
-Can I use the cargo anchor as a tether anchor?
-Okay, third question- when they retrofit tether anchors (which will get done just not right away) which positions will those be in?

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
-Can I use the cargo anchor as a tether anchor? No unless it is an approved tether location. Do you have the 1995 explorer manual? It should say in there if they are both tethers and cargo hooks. If it doesn't say so then no. Ford will install for free.
-Okay, third question- when they retrofit tether anchors (which will get done just not right away) which positions will those be in? I would get as many as they will install for you. Definitely wherever you put the ff or anywhere you have working seatbelts.

I was meaning the screens RF for te 16m. The ma ff for the 3y.

If you want built in locking clips and longivity then the Nautilus elite for the 1995.

A Nautilus or frontier85 for the 2002 for the oldest.

Use current convertibles for the 16m.

Polola0628

-Can I use the cargo anchor as a tether anchor? No unless it is an approved tether location. Do you have the 1995 explorer manual? It should say in there if they are both tethers and cargo hooks. If it doesn't say so then no. Ford will install for free.
-Okay, third question- when they retrofit tether anchors (which will get done just not right away) which positions will those be in? I would get as many as they will install for you. Definitely wherever you put the ff or anywhere you have working seatbelts.

I was meaning the screens RF for te 16m. The ma ff for the 3y.

If you want built in locking clips and longivity then the Nautilus elite for the 1995.

A Nautilus or frontier85 for the 2002 for the oldest.

Use current convertibles for the 16m.

Okay. I get you now. I was thinking what I bolded last night.. it's just that I'm still fighting with myself about not keeping DD1 rear facing but her time in the Radian is limited anyways...

So I think I'm going to do this..

02 Explorer:
DD1: Frontier 85
DD2: RFing Marathon

95 Explorer:
DD1: Nautilus Elite
DD2: RFing Radian

OR some other combo of those. I prefer the FR85 because of it's very very tall top slots. Tomorrow I'm going to try DD in her cousin's Nautilus and see how she fits in it.. I'd like to get her at least another 2 years harnessed if possible, and I'm not sure the Nautilus would do it for us.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC