Frontier 85 Cover/Tether Fading

bella_1818

We have a Frontier 85 in Rushmore in DH's car. It was purchased/installed in Mid-November but only been used twice, so I've not really monitored the seat too much.

Last night I was walking past the back of DH's car and the seat caught my eye because it looked brown (not black) through the back window. I got into his car and the tether and the back of the seat cover and head wing cover are completely faded. The tether is kind of purple and back side of the cover is chocolate brown.

Is that normal and does the extreme fading make the seat any less safe? We had a black Britax Diplomat for an infant seat and never had any problems with fading so I was kind of surprised to see how much the Frontier had changed in less than a year.

ADS

Ladyl

I would possibly be concerned about the tether. That doesn't seem right. The cover fading shouldn't matter.

ETA I'd call Britax about the tether.

bella_1818

I called Britax today and they said that their covers are tethers are supposed to fade and they are only unsafe if they are torn. She said fading it is not something covered under warranty and would never make a seat unsafe for use. I would expect some fading in a seat, but this seems really excessive, especially in the tether. I'm really disappointed that my 8 month old seat looks like a $5 yard sale find and I don't really expect to get 8 more years out of a seat that looks like it's already begun to dry rot. :mad: Really disappointed.

Last edited:

Albagail

I don't think you're being silly at all; if that was my expensive, 8 month old car seat, I'd be upset! I have an original frontier, but it has only ever been installed in the middle row of my SUV with tinted windows, where it never gets much direct sun. But, in my mom's corolla, which doesn't have tinted windows, I have had a scenera, a turbo booster, and a Monterey, and they get plenty of direct sun, and none show any signs of fading. If I were you, I might move up the Britax chain of command...it just doesn't seem right that they told you it was "supposed to fade", especially the tether.

bella_1818

Called Britax 24 hours ago and they had me email photos. They called a few minutes later and also wanted photos of the front of the seat. Now I'm waiting to hear back from them :whistle:

2BunniesMommy

Hopefully you will be getting a better response. I think that is way too much fading in the amount of time you have had it.

jenfrogmom

I have a Frontier in my car with no tinted windows and there is zero fading. I sure hope they replace it for you!

bella_1818

I called Britax Thursday at 11am. Still haven't heard back from them. I got the same CS person (Helen) both timed I called and to me she sounded bored to tears with the call.

sharsachan

i would try again..a mom on cafemom just called britax because both of her red and black frontier85s were fading and britax told her they would replace them..

bella_1818

AHH! I called back and got the same CS person, who said they would mail me a new cover and a new rear tether and I could replace the tether myself and send in the old one. Does this sound right?!? I really don't feel comfortable replacing the tether myself.

arly1983

AHH! I called back and got the same CS person, who said they would mail me a new cover and a new rear tether and I could replace the tether myself and send in the old one. Does this sound right?!? I really don't feel comfortable replacing the tether myself.

Actually, that sounds plausable.

I have replaced the tether on a regent (it was my fault) and the frontier looks the same. It was easy and there was no hardware involved. My top tether arrived with instructions with pictures.

emtb79

I have removed the tether from the classic seats to clean them I havent looked to see how much harder the tether would be, but I would think it would be like taking the crotch buckle out to adjust it.

LuvBug

Actually, that sounds plausable.

I have replaced the tether on a regent (it was my fault) and the frontier looks the same. It was easy and there was no hardware involved. My top tether arrived with instructions with pictures.

Yup, it should be quite doable. Some of them slip in like the harness and crotch buckle and some are more looped and require the original to be cut off, but a new one can be put on. It would be no different than when they put it on in the factory.

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Doesn't the FR have the rip-stitch tether? If so, can you really replace those? I thought the rip-stitch tethers couldn't be replaced.

JujuMama

Why is there a problem replacing it yourself? Take pictures of the setup before removing it. That might make it easier.

Jessica61624

DaniannieB said:
Doesn't the FR have the rip-stitch tether? If so, can you really replace those? I thought the rip-stitch tethers couldn't be replaced.

That would defeat the purpose if you could just replace it kwim? I don't know if I'd be able to get to it either with the head rest. Maybe if it was ALL the way up?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC