help! daughter undid chest latch on Forerunner!

M

mcglone

help! daughter undid chest latch on Forerunner!

My fidgety 16-month-old managed to undo the paper-clip chest latch on our Forerunner today. She slid one of the chest straps off one side of the buckle.

I was already planning to replace it as soon as more LATCH seats come out because, frankly, I hate it (the puzzle buckle is a major pain, the straps are impossible to adjust without uninstalling the seat, and the one time I tried to uninstall it I ended up with bloody knuckles and the seat still firmly in place). But in the meantime, I'm wondering if there's anything I can do in the meantime to prevent her from sliding the buckle off the straps. And how much should I panic if she does it again?

ADS
U

UlrikeDG

Cosco *does* sell a 2 piece chest clip...

You should be able to call their 800 number (be prepared to redial a LOT before getting through) and order one. They'll probably charge you shipping, and may also charge you a few $ for the actual clip. However, it should solve your problem.

The other thing you should do is make *sure* that you are getting the straps tight enough. I know, Cosco products are notorously difficult to use, and it may take quite a bit of MUSCLE to do so, but you should only be able to slide one finger between the child and the straps at his/her collar bone. If the straps are too loose, 1) it makes it easier for him/her to escape and 2) the child could be ejected from the seat (and from the *vehicle*) during a crash.

The new LATCH models should be out Sept 1 at the latest (9/1 is when the law regarding them goes into effect). When that happens, you should be able to find a seat that is much easier to use.

HTH

C

carsafety

Interesting-

It seems that some Forerunners have been shipped with a 2-piece chest clip, while others have been shipped with the 1-piece paper clip style version.

I agree with Ulrike. Call Cosco and demand a "2-piece harness retainer" (which is what they call it the literature) since that is what is shown on the boxes and in the literature that I've seen. They *shouldn't* charge you anything, in my opinion...

M

mcglone

tips on tightening?

Thanks, I think I have been letting it go too loose. Any advice on how to get it tighter? I should explain that she is riding rear-facing, and when I try to pull the straps tighter, the catch gets pushed up into the position that makes them looser, not tighter, defeating the exercise. Is my best bet just to uninstall the darn thing, tighten them, and reinstall? And if so, how the heck do I get it out of the latches? (This may be a job for Super Dad...)

Also, I should clarify that we do have the two-piece chest clip, but it's sort of like two paper clips stuck together in that the straps can slide off either side of the two-piece clip. Truly wonderful design.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! September can't get here soon enough!

R

Robert

Turn harness clip around

This might help, you might consider turning the harness clip around. As opposed to sliding the harness straps on from the front you then slide them from underneath. That way it will make it harder for your daughter to undo the straps.

U

UlrikeDG

I had moderate success in pulling it tight from behind, then

tugging on the strap.

First, I pull all the slack out of the lap portion of the harness. Then, I pull it tight up by the shoulders. Then, I pull it tight behind the seat, and finally, I tighten it at the adjuster. Experiment with short, sharp tugs, and long yanks. Also, try getting the straps tight before you fasten the chest clip.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC