seat heights of boosters

U

Unregistered

My daughter's gymnastic instructor was telling me that when they visit relatives in Illinois they need to use a booster for her daughter (just 6) due to a booster law for up to 8 year olds. The problem is that in the car she rides in ( Grandma's I guess) the height of the booster makes the shoulder belt ride across the top of her arm instead of shoulder! I don't know what type of car it is but was wondering whether all boosters raise kids up the same height? Would a belt positioning booster fix the problem? I imagine she is in a backless one. She is tall for her age but I can't believe she would pass the 5 step test unless the back seat was very low with a shallow seat and even then she isn't 8 yet and they want to comply with the law. Any ideas?
Thanks,
C.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I don't know about comparing the seat height of boosters.... But, I've seen a CPS tech in another forum write that even adults benefit from using boosters (within the manufacturer's recommended use limits of course) & another tech here stated that kids where she lived had to be in boosters till 12 years old & 4'11" - I also know that Alabama recently had a booster law pending that would require kids use the booster until 12 years old as well (unless they're too tall or heavy according to manufacturer recommendations).... The point is, that no matter where we are on earth, the laws of Physics are the same! I do wonder what kind of seat the kid is currently using - I've found that some backless boosters with the little strap to attach to the belt cause the belt to be improperly positioned on my tall 7 year old SD, so I make the parental decision not to use the strap so that the belt falls in the correct place. Also, her biomom was using the Turbo improperly so that the head support was way too low - the shoulder being at her armpit level so that the belt layed across her arm & she had to lean forward @@ I explained how unsafe that was & said she needed to take the back off if it was interfering with her line of vision (which I highly doubt because the seat was behind the driver anyway *SIGH*). Boosters like the high back Graco Turbo or Britax Parkway/Bodyguard & Starriser comfy might be a better option if the adult will use it properly so that the guide does lay the belt in the right place on the shoulder.... I don't have enough experience using combination seats as boosters to comment on them - my tall SD last year was using the Graco CarGo as a booster & her ears were not yet even with the shell, but I decided not to use the belt guides on that because I had retractable locking belts anyway - I don't know if the highest slot on the belt guide would have worked =/

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Well, my first suggestion is that they schedule a visit with a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician on the first day of their next visit. ;-) There are actually several IL techs who post on these forums, or she could visit SeatCheck.net to find a technician in Illinois or in their home town.

Most boosters come with an adjuster, which can be used to properly position the shoulder belt. A few Cosco models no longer include that strap, but it can be requested separately from the manufacturer if it is needed. The parent should consult the seat's instruction manual for help in getting a proper fit. If the manual has been misplaced, a new one can be requested from the manufacturer, and some companies, like Graco, provide manuals online for printing.

Finally, she really should be using a carseat or booster ALL the time, not just when it's required by law. The laws that really matter are the Laws of Physics, which don't change, just because there's no risk of receiving a traffic ticket. The 5-Step Test is a great way to determine if a child is being adequately protected by the seatbelt.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the advice. She wasn't looking for advice but just chatting with me through the car window. She commented on my rf daughter ( positive!) and then mentioned the belt situation. I thought if I could come up with something simple to steer her toward a safer seating situation I could 'mention' it if the opportunity comes up.
I think she was thinking that due to the belt being so low on her dd that maybe she'd be better off without the booster? Not sure....
I'll offer the CPS check as an idea and express my concern.
Thanks!
C.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
If the belt isn't fitting properly, she's right to be concerned. I suspect it's an issue of misuse (possibly because the belt guide is missing from the seat); although it is possible that this particular seat just doesn't fit that child properly in that vehicle. A CPST evaluating the situation in person should be able to find a solution. Of course, a thorough reading of the instruction manual may also shed some light. Sometimes, important paragraphs & diagrams are easily overlooked amid all the legalese in those little booklets.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC