car seat for tall toddler, occasional use

R

regina

I need to purchase a car seat for when my grandson , who is 13 months and tall, rides in my lexus es300. I don't want to have it permanently installed in the car,,I will move it in and out, so I would like one that installs easily. Can you recommend a safe, comfortable car seat for my car?

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
For ease of installation, your best best bet is probably a Britax seat. They're also very comfy, and have some very nice features.

1) Britax Advantage/Britax Roundabout. (The Advantage has been discontinued, but is still widely available.)
Weight limits:
· 33 lb. rear facing
· 40 lb. front facing
Features:
· EPS foam (like you find in bike helmets) to help protect the head
· Built in locking clips, which make installation much easier in many vehicles
· Easy to use tether which can be used both front and rear facing
· Twist-free straps
· Easy to use harness adjuster (There are seats which take my full strength to get just barely tight enough. The recommendation is that you should only be able to fit one finger between the child and the straps at his collar bone.)
· The Advantage has "infinite" harness adjustablility (you turn a knob to move it up or down), while the Roundabout has regular "slots."
· Any harness slot may be used front facing (most convertible seats only have the top slots reinforced for front facing use.)
· Well padded.
Cons:
· Price! They are very expensive—approximately $200-$230 for the Roundabout and $250-$260 for the Advantage.

2) Britax Marathon.
Weight limits:
· 33 lb. rear facing
· 65 lb. front facing
Features:
· Twist-free straps
· Four sets of harness slots to fit taller and shorter kids well
· Any harness slot may be used front facing (most convertible seats only have the top slots reinforced for front facing use.)
· Well padded
Cons:
· Price! It retails for $220-$250.

3) Britax Wizard.
Weight limits:
· 33 lb. rear facing
· 65 lb. front facing
Features:
· Side impact protection
· "Infinite" harness adjustablility (you turn a knob to move it up or down)
· Twist-free straps
· Well padded
Cons:
· Price! It retails for $250-$270.

R

regina

Thanks for your imput, but aren't there any other decent less expensive car seats out there that will also fit well/easily in my car?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Graco Ultra or Platinum Cargo (same seats, different covers, avoid the Treasured Cargo) runs $60 (at sears sometimes) to $99 (Walmart/Target/Babies R Us) (assuming your 13 mo gbaby is over 20 pounds, of course), is a generally easy to install seat (especially if you have LATCH) that is comfy and has good support for sleeping. It will also convert to a booster a few years down the road after 40 pounds.
The Evenflo Chase is another choice, but it rarely fits kids younger than two (the harness won't tighten enough when it's in the bottom slots. If the middle slots are already needed, then it may well be just fine. It can usually be found right next to the Cargos at the same stores for about the same price).
There are also other combo seats by Cosco that may work well, however they have much shorter top slots and may not last you harnessed till 40 pounds. Still, if you find on you love, they are perfectly safe and generally easy to install (there are so many models, I can't begin to keep up with the names, but they all have top slots of 15 inches or so, versus the ~17 for the Cargo and Chase, *that* I do know, lol.

Good luck shopping!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC