Convertible carseat for a newborn?

U

Unregistered

Hi there! Im due in march, and my best friend is buying a carseat for my shower gift. What would you suggest that can be bought for under $200?

We drive a 2004 2 door chevy cavalier, if that helps, because i was concerned that a radian 65 wouldnt fit into the backseat.

Thanks in advance :)

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
The Radian and Evenflo Triumph Advance seem to fit nb fairly well. I know Ilana fit in the Radian at about 8# but there was no good support for her head.

dd9736

well, we have a 96 2dr chevy cavalier, and our radian fits in the backseat, just barely, I would not want to put DS2 (2months)in there, even though he fits the seat well, the angle could probably work, depending on how tall you are, but you have to either lift them over the back of the carseat (I managed it in a sunfire, but there wasn't enough room in our cavalier), or crawl into the backseat with them, it would not be easy, but it could probably be done.
I'm liking the Evenflo Triumph Advance for DS2, when he outgrows the carrier, the back is a little shorter, IIRC, and it fits tiny babies well, from the pictures I've seen.

Last edited:

dhardawa

I'm not comfortable with most newborns in convertible seats. In all my years, I have seen one newborn who I felt fit well in one. Yes, they are rated from five pounds, but convertible seats tend to just dwarf newborns and if the newborn doesn't fit well in the seat, the seat isn't safe. If it is a situation where the parents won't be albe to afford both an infant and convertible seat, then the convertible is the best choice. Otherwise, I highly recommend using an infant seat for an infant.

Holly

Maybe the true fit coming out in January. When is your baby shower? If it's later than January, we'll have reviews on them by then. it's $179 and you can take the head reast at the top off to RF in smaller backseats. It looks nice and padded too, and also comes with an infant body support and head support if I remember right.

ThreeBeans

I'm not comfortable with most newborns in convertible seats. In all my years, I have seen one newborn who I felt fit well in one. Yes, they are rated from five pounds, but convertible seats tend to just dwarf newborns and if the newborn doesn't fit well in the seat, the seat isn't safe. If it is a situation where the parents won't be albe to afford both an infant and convertible seat, then the convertible is the best choice. Otherwise, I highly recommend using an infant seat for an infant.

You should take a look at some of the photos of newborns in the newer convertibles. It looks like the EFTA and the Radian are both excellent fits for newborns. I did a check a few days ago where we put a newborn in a Scenera (bitty guy, too), and it fit him VERY well.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
My wee one was 7 lb 12 oz at birth and took her first car trip when she was 3 days old. She fit fine in the Britax Marathon. I'd take pictures, but it's well below freezing where I live.

scatterbunny

Based on how low the bottom slots are on the Radian and Scenera, I think even my preemie would have fit well in those seats at 5 pounds. :) I have no idea what the lowest setting is for the Evenflo Triumph Advance, but I know the regular Triumph did fit newborns well in many cases.

Also, while straps at or below shoulders is optimum for rear-facing, I don't believe it's critical for newborns as long as the harness fits snugly and correctly everywhere else. Newborns and young infants will have plenty of seat shell above the head to allow for "ramping up" without allowing the head to come out of the protection of the seat shell.

From the SafetyBeltSafe Technical Encyclopedia:

Harness slot selection

For a rear-facing CR, use harness slots that are at or below the child’s shoulder level. In a frontal crash, the shoulder straps routed below shoulder level prevent the child from “ramping” or sliding up above the top of the CR, possibly resulting in head or neck injury for a larger child. If the lowest slots are above the infant’s shoulders in a convertible, try an infant-only restraint instead. For newborns, choose a restraint with at least three sets of slots, so the bottom slots are very low. If the lowest available slots are still above the shoulders, make sure the harness retainer clip holds the shoulder straps over the chest. Because of the child's short body and light weight, the risk of excessive ramping in this case is minimal.

http://carseat.org/Technical/tech_update.htm#harnessslot

wildeyes

hereas a pic of dd2 in a triumph advance. the harness straps go way low, so you should be able to get a good fit on a smaller baby. she is about 8 lbs, 21 inches in this pic. there is an extra cushion under her tush and the head support that came with the seat was not in the pic, hadnt found the slot to put it in, as i had just gotten the seat.
S7300230.jpg

this is in a small car, an 02 elantra, and there is plenty of room in the front. (except for my 6'2" dh lol)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Based on how low the bottom slots are on the Radian and Scenera, I think even my preemie would have fit well in those seats at 5 pounds. :) I have no idea what the lowest setting is for the Evenflo Triumph Advance, but I know the regular Triumph did fit newborns well in many cases.

Yes, but you have to remember it's not just based on their shoulders. Ilana was 8# when I tried the Scenera w/ her and her straps still weren't as tight as I would've normally had them, but they were as tight as they would go. The Radian was better. I don't think either would work at 5# though. I never tried her in a Triumph. *kicks herself*

dd9736

Jacob was 8lbs or so in these pics, when i tried him in his brother's radian and 6weeks old.
he fits the radian better than his carrier

P1030008w.jpg

P1030010w.jpg

scatterbunny

Yes, but you have to remember it's not just based on their shoulders. Ilana was 8# when I tried the Scenera w/ her and her straps still weren't as tight as I would've normally had them, but they were as tight as they would go.

Yup, I know, that's why I also said this:

while straps at or below shoulders is optimum for rear-facing, I don't believe it's critical for newborns as long as the harness fits snugly and correctly everywhere else.

:) Hayley was very long, but very lightweight (19.75 inches long but only 4 pounds, 7 ounces at birth; at 5-6 pounds she was 21-22 inches long, all torso. I do think she would have fit the Scenera, and some other convertibles, very well at 5 pounds due to being tall/long-torsoed.

Obviously having a snug, well-fitting harness is of the utmost importance, but for newborns and small babies I personally believe as long as the harness does fit well, straps being a bit above the shoulders isn't a huge concern. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC