1993 Suburban TT question

mommyfrog

1992 Suburban TT question

We are going to be buying a 1992 Suburban and I'm wondering about having top tethers put in. I'll need at least one because my 5 year old is NOT booster ready and will need to be in her Regent (if it will fit!!) She is right at 48-49 pounds so I'd feel better if it was tethered. Who knows when she'll gain the extra pound or two. So what are my options as far as TT goes? Can I get one put in the 3rd row center? Would kids even fit on the two sides with a Regent there? Can they put one in the middle of the 2nd row then put the 2 year old in the 3rd row center rf? I checked my LATCH manual and it doesn't say much. Just that you can have one installed for free. Can I have more than one if I pay for the others?

ETA: Yes, I know we can't all fit in there at once, but financially at this time, it's all we can do. Vans are not as cheap as Suburbans right now!!

Last edited:
ADS

TerisBoys

Someone with a tech manual can correct me if my memory is slipping.

If I remember right, the third row centre tether for that era Sub was a strap that went from one rear cargo hook to the other with a ring in the middle to hook the tether to. Outboard third row went to the furthest cargo anchor back, and middle row tethers to rear seatbelts.

A dear friend had a 95, and I remember researching it for her.

mommyfrog

So I should be able to use a TT for at least the third row, right? I can't use TT in the second row and not be able to use the third row. That just won't work!! Oh yeah, I was wrong on the year. IT's a 1992 not 93. Probably doesn't make a difference but maybe.

mommyfrog

We ended up with a 1994 Suburban!! So now I just contact a dealer and tell them I need a top tether anchor kit for it? Do I use the bulletin # in the LATCH manual?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Yes, a GM dealership should have the current part info., and definitely refer the dealership to that GM service bulletin in the 2009 LATCH manual in order to have the dealership bill GM corporate and not charge you for the part plus any dealership labor involved for retrofitting one top tether anchor. The first one is free per that bulletin in the U.S. :thumbsup: Congrats on your new wheels. :)

glockchick

Good luck. I've tried 3 different dealerships trying to get a top tether for the 3rd row and no one can find one.

The closest I got was the ones that buckle into the 3rd row belts after I was assured they bolted to the floor. :rolleyes:

mommyfrog

I definitely want one for the thrid row. I guess that would be the strap that goes from one cargo hook to the other and the tt hooks to that? I won't be tethering in the second row or I won't be able to fit all my kids in!! I'm really kind of confused on the whole tt thing in the Suburban. I read through a whole bunch of posts yesterday. I saw some that said third row outboard tethers to the far back cargo hooks. Then I saw some posts where people were told you can't tt to the cargo hooks. I saw the thread with the tt strap for the center third row, which is what I'll be needing. I saw the one for the second row that buckles into the seat belt.

What I have is two Regents and a Radian or my 7 year old can ride in his Monterey. Either way I need to use those two center positions for harnessed seats. I was thinking for the middle seat....Regent (for 5 year old who isn't 50 pounds yet), Radian, older kid. Third seat.....older kid, Regent, older kid. OR change out the middle row, driver's side Regent for the Monterey and put 5 year old in the middle of the third, which when she hits 50 pounds, I'll have to do anyway. This is all in theory anyway because I have only installed the Radian so far and don't really know how the Regents are going to fit. The Radian was a dream to install though!! I got it tight and upright in less than a minute. I'm going to do the rf tt later today.

ETA: I measured it with the ipod angle ap. It is at 29-30 degrees with no kid in it. Yay!!!

Last edited:

glockchick

Check your manual in your surburan. Mine's a '99 and does say to use the cargo hooks closest to the back as tether anchors for the outboard 2 seats.

I'm not sure if it's the same in your year model or not.

None of my seats are tethered. Am I happy about that? Nope. But there's not much I can do about it so it is what it is. :thumbsdown: I need the harnessed seats in the middle because I have older kids that need the shoulder belts.

babygirlsmom1005

Check your manual in your surburan. Mine's a '99 and does say to use the cargo hooks closest to the back as tether anchors for the outboard 2 seats.

I'm not sure if it's the same in your year model or not.

None of my seats are tethered. Am I happy about that? Nope. But there's not much I can do about it so it is what it is. :thumbsdown: I need the harnessed seats in the middle because I have older kids that need the shoulder belts.

We were told as well (by the dealer that ordered our TT buckle for our 2nd row) to use the cargo anchors at/near the door for top tether for the 3rd row - mine's a 92 Suburban as well. There is also that strap thing with the ring on it for the center position of the 3rd row, but getting a seat in the 3rd row center isn't a piece of cake either with the belt that is there and how narrow it is - I'm sure it could be done, but I have 2 outboard back there and there is no room for anything in the center (well the dolly car seat - but then it becomes a hassle).

So what can be done (depending on how many seats are needed and how many have to be FF'ing, etc...) is 2 outboard 3rd row, TT to the cargo anchors near the door, FF'ing seat center 2nd row, TT to the 3rd row center buckle thing from GM and 2nd row RF'ing outboard - that gets 5 seats, the most I've ever been able to fit into mine (but I would love to try 3 radians in the 3rd row, not sure if they would fit or not all back there). Your aware that there is no head support for the 2nd and 3rd rows? I didn't know if you knew that or not, it's a short backed bench seats.

3rd row Evenflo Generations 65 & Britax Frontier:
IMG_8228.jpg

mommyfrog

Thanks, yes I'm aware of the low backs. At this point in our lives we don't have a choice. Sucks, but that's how it goes sometimes!!;)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
None of my seats are tethered. Am I happy about that? Nope. But there's not much I can do about it so it is what it is. :thumbsdown:

Yes, but keep in mind the Regent requires a top tether for kids over 50lbs, so at some point she's going to either need a different seat or that top tether.

OP, I have copies of the pages of a Suburban manual that show pictures of the top tether. I probably got them from this board in the first place, so you may have seen them already, but if you haven't let me know and I can post them.

mommyfrog

If it's not too much trouble, please post them. Then I can just print out the picture in case I have any trouble getting what I need. I need to do it fast because my 7 year old is 52 pounds. He can't use the Regent without the tt. Or I can put dd in the middle of the third row and put him in the second row in his Monterey. That may be the better choice. Oh, decisions!! I'm not driving it yet because we need to get tabs and insurance.

ETA: I guess that is the most logical choice. It stinks that I can't use the seat I scrimped and saved to buy. And I remembered something else. The Regent has to be tt if it installed short belt path with a lap/shoulder belt and the kid is over 40 pounds, so I really have no choice at all, right? Since there is no way to tt in the second row and still use the third row. Ugh!! Stupid rules!! But I still have to get the tt for the middle of the third row for when my dd gains two pounds. I wonder why you have to top tether at 40 pounds if you use the lap/shoulder belt but not until 50 pounds if you are using the lap only belt?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
If it's not too much trouble, please post them. Then I can just print out the picture in case I have any trouble getting what I need.

Well shoot - I'm sorry, I was wrong about what I had saved. It's the pages from the '99 manual that simply state to use the rear cargo tie-downs as 3rd-row tether anchors. :(

mommyfrog

hmmmm...So I downloaded the manual for my Suburban and it says nothing about tt except to use it if you can and contact a dealer if you need them installed. grrrrrr.....:rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC