Tall parents have a tall 7month old and I'm looking into convertable seats

TallTom

Hi everyone, I am a very proud father with a 28" tall 7mo little girl. While she is content in the Aton 2 for now, I know that I will soon need a convertible seat. I'm very tall (6'7") and need my seat fully back in our 2002 Maxima. My wife is tall at 6'0" as well.

I'm looking for a convertible seat recommendation that will be most beneficial for our girl and parents' legroom. I am sure she will peak out at the height limits well before the weight limits. I have been looking at so many articles on seats that I am losing my mind.

I found this comparison article from here and think any of the top 10 listed will suffice, but was wondering if any particular one would be better for a tall child as well. http://carseatblog.com/22818/the-ul...ertible-space-comparison-review-size-matters/

Any advice is appreciated.

Tall Tom

ADS

AllieK

Hi, I've got a tall guy at home too. The market is a lot better for tall kids than it was 4 years ago so you've got great options.

I really like the Britax seats and any of the ClickTight ones will last a long time RF, even for a tall kid. One drawback I've seen mentioned is they don't offer great legroom for the child.

My second favorite seat is the Graco Size4Me/Headwise/MySize. It also will allow a tall kid to RF for a long time.

I've also seen the Radian mentioned a lot for tall kids, plus it's super compact with the angle adjuster. I don't own one so I can't comment on how I like it personally. ;)

TallTom

Hello! Long legged mom of a 30" 7 month old here, so I feel your pain [emoji5]️.

You might want to cross reference the previous link with this one: http://carseatblog.com/31265/best-c...cing-the-definitive-guide-for-savvy-shoppers/

The Graco Milestone, Chicco Nextfit, and the Maxi Cosi Pria are other good ones to look at.

What are your rear facing goals? What vehicle(s) are you planning to install in?

Thank you Allie and LGenne.

My goal is to keep her rear facing as long as I can but I can't imagine her being rear facing after the age of 2 at her current growth rate. She's in the 99th percentile in height for her age.

Currently, we only have one car, an 02 Nissan Maxima. We only use the car about twice a month but when we do, it's a long trip (usually an hour or more). We live in NYC.

AllieK

You will likely be able to RF past 2yrs even with the height of your daughter, if you get the right seat. My son is 44-45" now and could still fit RF in the Graco seat if he wasn't over the weight limit for RF.

Brianna

The Graco clones are very long lasting for tall children. My godson has been over the 97th percentile for height & weight since he was about 6 months old and he lasted until 3 years rear facing in an Evenflo Triumph. For reference, the Graco Clones have approx 4" more of shell height, so I believe he could have made it to 4 rear facing in a clone. And his height is all in his torso.

bnsnyde

Dad is 6'4" and I am 5'8".
We had the Aton 2 for our tall daughter as an infant, too.

Now she is in a Clek Fllo. We like this and have room to drive (she is behind us).
Now, since you are taller...I am not sure.
Dad can drive the van but we don't have seat all the way back.

My 99% height 4 YO was rear-facing in a Radian (Diono) until after age 3, so it's very doable. He is now in an Evenflo Sure Ride which is awesome for tall forward-facing kids (and it RF too but only to 40"). (The Frontier was too wide for our spot or we'd use that).

I think my daughter will fit the Fllo until at least 3 and then some.

BCTallMom

Hi-
I'd like to piggyback on this topic as we are in a similar situation. Baby is 6 months old and 98th percentile for height. Currently have her in a Graco Snugride Classic Connect 30 (Due to attachments on older model BOB stroller). Used with base it doesn't leave much room. Looking forward to a few months from now when we will have to switch her to Convertible seat due to height. Problem is, we have a 2006 Toyota Corolla. She is behind passenger seat in order to fully back up driver seat for when my husband drives. This means when I am in passenger seat my knees are about 3" from glove compartment. Worried about switch to seat that will mean I can't fit in front of her. Does anyone know how much room these seats need in order to be correctly level in RF recline? Anyone with experience in this type of vehicle or something similar (Matrix, Camry)? I can't find info on how much room the seats actually need when in recline on any manufacturer sites...My eyes are going buggy from all the websites...
Thanks TallTom for introducing this thread!!

lgenne

My very large, long waisted 5.5 year old is just under the height and weight limits of the longest lasting rear facing car seat currently on the market in the U.S. If you want to go past 2, you should be able to. That car seat is gigantic, so I don't have it (yet, anyway, time will tell) but there are definitely some good options out there.

If you're interested, it is: http://m.toysrus.com/skava/static/p...oductId=57533826&eESource=CA_DF:57533826:TRUS

jacqui276

DS is off the charts for both height and weight and has been since he was a baby. We used Radian RXTs and he lasted until 2 years, 10 months before outgrowing them by weight and almost by height. It is quite compact when installed with the angle adjuster and offered a lot of leg room.

MUTigers

I drive an '04 Saturn Ion and DH drives an '08 Jeep Liberty. He's 6'9" and I'm 5'9".

DD1 has been around the 95th percentile since she was about 9 months. She rear faced in a Radian RXT until she turned 4. She probably could have lasted another month by height. She still has a few more pounds.

When RFing she was always behind the passenger seat. I can fit in both cars with no issue. My leg room is not ideal, but not unsafe or uncomfortable. DH cannot sit in front of a RFing seat unless he's in a full size truck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC