More ?'s about DS's new TFP- adjuster, lock-offs

rosomom

I posted a thread yesterday about using pool noodles with my DS's TFP to get the proper recline. Thanks for the the info, still working on getting another noodle to work with!

While playing around with the seat yesterday, I had a couple of other questions come up. DS is nearly 9 months old, weighs about 20# dressed & fed, and seems long in the torso, but I don't have any measurements. When he wakes up I could give you some for reference. :)

DISCLAIMER: It is going to seem like I am not worthy of this seat by not knowing all this stuff. I DID read the manual, but I couldn't get a clear meaning from it. I know you ladies know your stuff. I also know that my sister is going to be getting one of these seats for her (first) newborn in a few months and she is a total carseat virgin. :) I need to be able to make this easy for her, too, as well as myself.

#1- Lock-offs- I don't feel like I am using these to their full potential. I was able to get the LATCH belt really, really tight (more upright) before I closed them. How do I make sure I'm using these correctly?

#2- Harness adjuster- I feel like I'm having a hard time getting the harness nice and tight with DS in there. I can access the release lever okay, and basically I am pulling the strap straight up from between the release lever and the ARB foot. Am I doing it wrong to pull really hard? Did I read somewhere about "ratcheting" the strap? I don't think I've ever had a seat with a ratcheting adjuster. Can someone explain how to use it effectively?

#3- Infant insert- I know this has to come out at 22 lbs. But can it be used with the 2nd slots? First I put DS in w/o the insert at the 1st slots. They were well below his shoulders...so much so that they were coming from way behind his back (which always makes me think they are more likely to slide off his shoulders). The 2nd slots are above his shoulders w/o the insert, but with the insert at the 2nd slots seems really perfect. Is that okay, or do I need to take it out?

Thanks again for any help you can give me. I just really want to make sure I am using all these great features the right way!

Holle

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
1- the lockoffs don't really do much for a LATCH install. You just have to route the belt through the path and close them over the belt. I close the tail in at least the closest one, but some people don't and that's fine, too. They're not really going to do anything in a crash- it's just where the belt has to go.

2-The harness adjuster might loosen up a little over time. Sometimes it's really stiff with new seats. It's not really a racheting adjuster- you can just use that "tug, tug, tug" motion to tighten it. Sometimes it's easier to adjust a long way than just a little- in other words, loosen a lot, and then tighten, instead of just taking that last 1/2" out of the harness

3- you can use the insert to 22lbs, even on the 2nd slot. At 20lbs, I would keep a check on it, though. He can gain that last 2lbs pretty quickly

None of your questions are "dumb" questions or make you unworthy of the seat! I'm glad you asked, especially since you'll be helping your sister soon!

babygirlsmom1005

As far as the tightening of the harness, I have found that I have to hand tighten from behind the seat by pulling on the harness then the adjuster strap at the same time to get it tight for my 3 month old to use. (I think that made sense?)

InternationalMama

I read in this review and other posts on here by the author of it that you -cannot- use the infant insert once your child is over the bottom slots without the insert, at least not on the TFP, even if they are still under 22lbs. She says that the infant insert for the TFP is actually called a "height adjuster" in the manual and is only intended to raise the child up to the bottom slots and not to be used beyond that point.

I haven't gotten to play with our TFP yet, but I'm just sharing what I've read.

babygirlsmom1005

Here is what the manual for the TFP states about the infant insert

OK it says (page 54)
The True Fit has been safety tested with the height insert and head pillows that are included with this restraint. The height insert (has a circle with a #1 in it then at the bottom of the page a pic of the insert with the #1 on it) is ony needed until the child's shoulder is at or above position 1. DO NOT use this height insert for infants/children in FF position.

Now, if it is just a height insert and must be removed after the 1st position, why did then make it so it could be used for all 3 RF'ing positions (with the cut outs for the 3 RF'ing slots)? The only thing it does say is do not use for FF....

InternationalMama

That is confusing wording. It seems like you're right that the insert -can- be used later, but isn't -needed- later. As you say, why else would they have other harness slots in it?

But then I wonder why the poster Murphydog77 (Heather, I think her name is?) is so adamant that it cannot be used after the bottom slots are reached??? I've heard her say this on here repeatedly as well as twice in the review I've linked to (once in the comments). I guess I should try and ask her. I'm wondering if she talked to someone at Learning Cuve...

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That is confusing wording. It seems like you're right that the insert -can- be used later, but isn't -needed- later. As you say, why else would they have other harness slots in it?

But then I wonder why the poster Murphydog77 (Heather, I think her name is?) is so adamant that it cannot be used after the bottom slots are reached??? I've heard her say this on here repeatedly as well as twice in the review I've linked to (once in the comments). I guess I should try and ask her. I'm wondering if she talked to someone at Learning Cuve...

Nah, I'm not adamant about not using it insomuch as the instruction manual is. I thought it was rather bizarre that there are 3 harness slots cut into the thing myself. I can check with my contact at Learning Curve tomorrow about the wording.

InternationalMama

Oh good, Heather, you saw this post! I was going to message you. My son is over 22 pounds, but I'm still really curious about the use of the insert. I'd love to know what Learning Curve says.

rosomom

Thanks everyone for the information. The more I've used the seat, the easier it's getting to figure everything out.

I'm still using the insert. I really don't understand why they'd put the three harness slot cut-outs in there unless they intended it to be used past the bottom slots. It DOES make the crotch strap seem really short, though, so my little chunker's thighs seem squished (only seem that way, b/c he doesn't make a fuss at all).

I'll wait to hear what anyone has to say from Learning Curve.

Thanks again!

InternationalMama

If you have any desire to measure the second slots from the bottom I'd love to know how high they are. My son is 24 lbs so if he can't reach the second set I bet he'll be having the same problem as your son with the first slots being far below his shoulders, but he won't be able to use the insert. I'm just curious if you (or anyone with the TFP!) feels like getting out a tape measure. :) I've seen the first slot height posted and the last, but not the 2nd or 3rd.

babygirlsmom1005

If you have any desire to measure the second slots from the bottom I'd love to know how high they are. My son is 24 lbs so if he can't reach the second set I bet he'll be having the same problem as your son with the first slots being far below his shoulders, but he won't be able to use the insert. I'm just curious if you (or anyone with the TFP!) feels like getting out a tape measure. :) I've seen the first slot height posted and the last, but not the 2nd or 3rd.

I can do that later on ;) but I will say, my DD who is almost 4, RF'ing she fits on the 2nd slots with the inserts removed, I was quite shocked when I placed her in it and the 3rd slots were over her sholders (her torso is 15-16 inches).

rosomom

I have not seen any other measurements posted, but here's what I got (all approximate - I'm not experienced in these exact carseat stats!):

Bottom slots - 9.5"
2nd slots - 11.5"
3rd slots - 14"
(I should have just kept on going and measured the top ones, too, but I didn't think of it.)

I currently am trying this TFP for my older DD (4 y/o, 34#), and she is using the 3rd slots FFing with about .75 - 1 inch above her shoulders. I measure her torso height today at 14 inches. So, my measurements must not be accurate or something! :) Hopefully that helps you.

mommycat

Murphydog, is the wording quoted below the wording in the manual? Because that totally does NOT prohibit use after position 1, to me. Is there more in the manual besides this? What do the warning labels on the insert itself say? To me, the quote below just bounds in the useful life, aka "must use to this point, can't use after that point, but anything in between is fair game". Hope LC gets back to you soon!

Nah, I'm not adamant about not using it insomuch as the instruction manual is. I thought it was rather bizarre that there are 3 harness slots cut into the thing myself. I can check with my contact at Learning Curve tomorrow about the wording.

Here is what the manual for the TFP states about the infant insert

OK it says (page 54)
The True Fit has been safety tested with the height insert and head pillows that are included with this restraint. The height insert (has a circle with a #1 in it then at the bottom of the page a pic of the insert with the #1 on it) is ony needed until the child's shoulder is at or above position 1. DO NOT use this height insert for infants/children in FF position.

Now, if it is just a height insert and must be removed after the 1st position, why did then make it so it could be used for all 3 RF'ing positions (with the cut outs for the 3 RF'ing slots)? The only thing it does say is do not use for FF....

InternationalMama

Thanks! The suspense is building! I measured his torso at 12" but from what you and Babygirlsmom have said that might still mean he's below the slots once he's in it and it's installed. Can't wait to find out and see the seat in person.

In her review, Heather listed the top slots as 17.375". (.375 is 3/8 I just didn't know how to write that.)

babygirlsmom1005

OK I just got off the phone with Kathy at Learning Curve (had to call to confirm a e-mail addy, but since I had her on the phone....)

The Insert: Their Car Seat Tech there said it's only needed until baby is 8 lbs or above the lowest slots, BUT can be used until the baby is 22 lbs and cannot be used FF'ing. So it can be used in all 3 positions RF'ing as long as baby is less than 22 lbs. (which is nowhere in the manual other than do not use for FF'ing)

I also asked if they maybe testing this seat to 40 lbs (wouldn't that make this the ultimate carseat?) and she said at this time she doesn't know of any testing that would happen, but she will get back with me about that when she answers my e-mail.

rosomom

OK I just got off the phone with Kathy at Learning Curve (had to call to confirm a e-mail addy, but since I had her on the phone....)

The Insert: Their Car Seat Tech there said it's only needed until baby is 8 lbs or above the lowest slots, BUT can be used until the baby is 22 lbs and cannot be used FF'ing. So it can be used in all 3 positions RF'ing as long as baby is less than 22 lbs. (which is nowhere in the manual other than do not use for FF'ing)

I also asked if they maybe testing this seat to 40 lbs (wouldn't that make this the ultimate carseat?) and she said at this time she doesn't know of any testing that would happen, but she will get back with me about that when she answers my e-mail.

Thanks for the info!

DD rode in the TFP today FFing and she loved it....slept much better without her head falling to her chest (like it does in her Nautilus). With all the growing room she's got in the TFP, I'm tempted to sell our Nautili (is that a word?) and go fot another TF. Probably not the TFP, since she wouldn't use it RFing.

Thanks again!

InternationalMama

I also asked if they maybe testing this seat to 40 lbs (wouldn't that make this the ultimate carseat?)

Thanks for the news. How strange that the manual never mentions a 22lbs limit RFing. Did the writer(s) assume everyone turns their child at 22 lbs? I'm glad the insert can be used for more harness slots though.

I would love it if the TFP went to 40 lbs, but if they changed the limit and didn't make it retroactive I would be so bummed out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC