New to me car/need seat suggestions

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Rear facing in the 3rd row of a Suburban is extremely difficult because there's just so little room. You face the same challenges you do in an ultra-sub-compact car. Only a few seats will fit, and then you have to find one that both fits AND will work with the forward-of-the-bight seat belts in the 3rd row.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's very very challenging.

The third row is also crazy narrow, making it really tough to put two seats side by side. Again, it can be (and has been) done, however it has to be a very specific combination of seats.

I know I can put a reasonably narrow seat (I've tried it with a CA65) in the center of the 3rd row and fit an Incognito booster next to it comfortably. I haven't found a lot of other options that work.

One possibility in that model year could be a Ride Safer Travel Vest with the lap belt and top tether in the center of the 3rd row. That might be a good option for the 7 year old unless she's inclined to unbuckle. It doesn't totally solve your problem, but she might be able to be taught how to climb over the seat and get into the vest with only visual supervision, which could make it so you could put three car seats in your 2nd row.

ADS

seb3244

Rear facing in the 3rd row of a Suburban is extremely difficult because there's just so little room. You face the same challenges you do in an ultra-sub-compact car. Only a few seats will fit, and then you have to find one that both fits AND will work with the forward-of-the-bight seat belts in the 3rd row. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's very very challenging. The third row is also crazy narrow, making it really tough to put two seats side by side. Again, it can be (and has been) done, however it has to be a very specific combination of seats. I know I can put a reasonably narrow seat (I've tried it with a CA65) in the center of the 3rd row and fit an Incognito booster next to it comfortably. I haven't found a lot of other options that work. One possibility in that model year could be a Ride Safer Travel Vest with the lap belt and top tether in the center of the 3rd row. That might be a good option for the 7 year old unless she's inclined to unbuckle. It doesn't totally solve your problem, but she might be able to be taught how to climb over the seat and get into the vest with only visual supervision, which could make it so you could put three car seats in your 2nd row.

I will look into this vest. The other reason we want the 7yr old in a harnessed seat is it seams there is more side impact protection. So this vest (haven't looked yet but will tonight) doesn't have any I would think. But I could be wrong.
Thank you for the suggestion!

seb3244

Well this app that has the red at the top is not letting me start a new thread.

I noticed the other day that my car seats are tilted is the safe?

Hopefully my photos attached. Please let me know how to live with us because the outside of the suburban seat is higher than the inside.
Thanks!!

Last edited:

seb3244

Well this app that has the red at the top is not letting me start a new thread. I noticed the other day that my car seats are tilted is the safe? Hopefully my photos attached. Please let me know how to live with us because the outside of the suburban seat is higher than the inside. Thanks!!

Bump
Please

Dillipop

There is no safety concern to a slightly tilted seat. However, if it really bugs you, you can try installing using a locking clip or lockoffs or latch if the tilt is possibly being caused by a locking retractor tightening up over time.

seb3244

There is no safety concern to a slightly tilted seat. However, if it really bugs you, you can try installing using a locking clip or lockoffs or latch if the tilt is possibly being caused by a locking retractor tightening up over time.

Thanks very much!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC