Question Replacement seats/3 across Ford Focus

laurenandalex

I have several questions. Thank you for your patience as I sort this out.

My husband was in an accident last week, driving our 2010 Jetta SportswagenTDI, with an unoccupied, but installed (via click tight) Frontier 90, and a Evenflo Amp NBB (which was not belted, simply sitting on the seat--DH doesn't listen to my rants about projectiles!). I have contacted Britax to review the specifics of the crash in context of their replacement guidelines. The other driver's insurance has agreed to replace our seats regardless, which leads me to my first of several questions.
(1) Does the unbuckled, unoccupied Evenflo Amp NBB need to be replaced?

Due to dieselgate, we had planned to take the buy back from VW as soon as possible. For a variety of reasons, we are strongly considering a Ford Focus (likely 2016 sedan). This will be our secondary vehicle. I'm interested in considering the possibility of 3 across in a Focus, as we anticipate buying replacement seats. (Primary vehicle is a 2014 Odyssey)

My children are
8 years 54" 65 lbs (long torso)
rides in Britax Pkwy in primary vehicle (3rd row, driver side)
rode in Evenflo Amp NBB or Bubblebum in secondary vehicle.
5 years 47" 44 lbs
rides in Britax Frontier 85 (harness mode) in primary vehicle (3rd row, passenger side)
rode in Britax Frontier 90 (harness mode) in secondary vehicle
22 months 33" 23 lbs
rides in Britax Classic Roundabout in primary vehicle (2nd row, driver side)
didn't ride in secondary vehicle very often; when he does, we move his Roundabout

We also have a Radian XTSL (sunshine kids with 11/2010 manufacture). Both older kids have outgrown the radian by height.

Other things to consider:
we ERF (as close to age 4 as possible)
we extended harness (our oldest went to a booster in the primary vehicle only upon outgrowing the harness on the Frontier 90 at about 7.5 years old)

My goal is for the 5 year old to be harnessed in all vehicle until at least age 7 or the limits of his seat. I'd like him to remain harnessed in the primary vehicle until 7.5-8 years.

My goal is the for the 22 month old to RF until age 3-4 in all vehicles. I'd like him to remain RF in the primary vehicle until age 4 (or limits of his seat; his sibs both outgrew the radian at 3years, 9-10 months).

I'd like the possibility of doing 3 across in the Focus as needed (not often). I'm willing to booster both the older kids for that occasional need if it helps. For everyday use, I'd like a seat for the 5 year old and a booster for the 8 year old to be installed in the Focus. We can always put the radian in for the 22 month old in place of one of those two.

I'm trying to think long term...what seat purchase will give me the most longevity? The 22 month old will likely need a new seat to achieve our ERF goals (as the radian will expire and the Roundabout will be outgrown before he is 4). The 5 year old can easily harness in the Frontier 85 until he is booster ready; but the Frontier 85 will expire before the 22 month old is booster ready. Ideally, the seat we get to replace the Frontier 90 (as a result of the crash) will either enable extended harnessing of the 5 year old or ERF for the 22 month old. I think we will likely have to buy a combination seat and a convertible before each of them reach our goal ages... Sigh. Buy all the seats! always!

So questions:
(2) which seats will allow me to the get 3 across in the Focus?
(3) should a replace the 90 with another Frontier or a convertible? Are there any convertibles out there that will allow harnessing of my tall 5 year old while being narrow enough to play along in a 3 across situation and tall enough to later serve as an ERF for the 22 month old?

Phew! You survived this long long post. Thank you!

ADS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC