Rainier or 3-1 convertable?

raatapapa

I was recommended the graco tranzitions because my 1.5 year old has outgrown her infant seat and my 3.5 yo is in a diono rainier. What is the reason not to get a second rainier and to buy a 3-1 instead? Kids grow out of the diono sooner?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you're forward facing the 3 year old this would make sense- get a seat that has a taller harness and becomes a useable booster later (the Rainer does not make a useable booster) and pass down the convertible you have.

Hazelandlucy

Well, the Rainier is just an ok booster whereas the Tranzitions is supposed to be quite a good one. So for many $$ less, I would give the 3.5 yr old the Tranzitions and use as a harnessed seat and eventually a booster and the pass the Rainier down as a great and easy to load rear facing and future harnessed forward facing seat.

raatapapa

Much appreciated. The tranzitions seems to be less engineered than the rainier. I feel like I could run over it and it'd be fine where the tranzitions feels like a pool toy. I'm sure they're both safe, but for some reason I don't feel that its as safe... I'm sure it's just made to be light for ease of use, but I wonder if I should get something that's built more like a tank. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's worth noting that many "cheap plastic" seats crash test the same or better than seats with metal reinforcement. The goal of any design is to a) restrain the child safely within the safest part of the passenger compartment and b) direct crash force energies away from the child's body. Flexible plastic can often accomplish that by allowing for some bending of the plastic- where metal doesn't bend so if you use it you have to find other ways to accomplish that such as those added energy absorption technologies.

If you prefer those extra technologies as a means of management though, there are other options in combination seats. Would you like some other combination seat recommendations?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC