Replacement Seat for Middle Row?-Honda Odyssey '10

pegleg

I need advice on a recommended replacement seat for our 2010 Honda Odyssey. It is time to replace one of the seats for one of our 3 year old twins due to the manufacture date. This new seat will most likely go back in the middle row captain's chair

Here is our current configuration:
3 kids-7 yr old (50 lbs, 48 inches)-Currently in Britax Frontier 90, 3 year old (31 lbs, 37 inches)-Currently in Chicco Nextfit Convertable, 3 year old (29 lbs, 37 inches)-Replacing.

I need advice on what would be a good seat and more importantly fit for the middle row/bucket seat. I would prefer to stay under $300 for the seat.

It looks like some options might be:
Recaro Performance Sport
Britax Pinnacle Clicktight
Britax Frontier Clicktight
Chicco Nextfit

I don't want to compromise safety, but would love to have this be a seat our child can grow with.

Currently, the oldest son is in the back driver side, and twins in the side by side middle row. Please feel free to offer suggestions for the 3 year old twins or 7 year old boy on seat setup.

We made it work for the past few years with the help of suggestions from the forum over a year ago! THANK YOU!

Last edited:
ADS

pegleg

So do you have it moved center? If so that limits your options a lot. If not you have a TON of options.

Yes, currently our two 3 year olds are in the captains chairs that are located in the middle row. (Can post a photo if a visual is needed) The captain chairs have been fine with the latch feature.

However, I know when transferring over to use the actual seatbelt on the captains chair to secure a carseat, it could present some challenges.

Thanks!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ok, just to confirm- you have moved the captain's chair to the center spot (not the side) and want to keep it there? Since they are moveable I'm not sure whether you are saying it's center.

If you have it in the center, you aren't going to be able to install a rear facing seat with the seatbelt stretched over like that. I tried just for kicks and found it extremely problematic. So you'd be better off choosing a lighter seat if you want to use it there, so that you can continue to use lower anchors. For instance the Evenflo SureRide allows lower anchor use to 55 lbs.

Eventually you'd need to move the chair back and seatbelt install on the side- that will just be a lot sooner with some seats than others.

I wouldn't recommend any of the seats you listed If you want to continue to use lower anchors.

pegleg

van.JPG

Here is a photo. Right now the captain seats are side by side. If I need to adjust them to fit with the new seat configuration and style I can. I don't have to use the latch anchors, but I know they are in the captain's chairs along with a back tether strap if that helps.

I appreciate all of the help since I'm trying figure all of this out.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I had an 05 which was almost identical to your 10 for many years. :)

If you intend to forward face I'd go ahead and move the seat back to the side to open up your seatbelt install options. The Frontier/Pinnacle are long lasting and fit well there (I did twist the belt stalk one turn to get a good fit, as I recall.)

pegleg

That makes sense. So I can still run the "clicktight" Britax belt with the captain chair if I move it back over to the side?

It looks like the Britax Pinnacle/Frontier can both use the Latch until 38/40 lbs for the child's weight. Our initial thought is our 3 year old could be too small for that size seat, as he is very slender. However, it looks like he meets the minimum height and weight requirements according the manufacture specs on their website.

Other than the Side Impact cushion is there a major difference anyone has found on the Pinnacle/Frontier?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That's the only difference.

I would NOT use the lower anchors on a clicktight seat! Doing so makes them insanely hard to take out. They were really designed to use the seatbelt. It is actually HARDER to use the lower anchors than seatbelt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC