8 passenger vehicles with 6 latch positions?

bigzsmommy

Are there any 8 (or 9 even) passenger vehicles that have a latch position for 6 seats? Why can't they just put a stinking latch and top tether on each seat in the back? I was looking at the 2011 honda pilot i believe online and they have 3 latch settings in the middle seat but then just one on the right side in the 3rd row? Is there some reason that it isn't good to have latch available in every spot?! This just drives me crazy lol...We have an 07 ford freestar and are due with #4 in April. so for now we are ok, but I am annoyed that i can't top tether my forward facing seats in the backseat (well I can do 1 if I put one in the middle but then the boys are practically in each others lap back there and it just seems like the damage they will do each other is just as bad). I'm hopeful that if we put 3 radians (which we don't have) in the backseat we'd be able to fit 3 in the back and make it through one more child in this van but frankly I'm not sure that'd even work. Anyway... if there are any 8 passenger vehicles that have latch in all positions let me know! I'd like at least having the option, kwim? thanks!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The Odyssey you were looking at has too tethers in all rear seating positions, so tethering your seats won't be a problem.

Lower anchors aren't available in all positions for a couple reasons. First, they don't have to. The most a vehicle is required to have is two seating positions with LATCH. Second, it costs more to add them. Probably not a lot, but something.

Third, there often isn't enough room to have three sets of LATCH, especially three sets that are all usable at the same time. LATCH anchors have standard spacing, and I'm not sure there are any third-row seats wide enough to have three full sets of LATCH that can all be used at once.

Often in three-across situations, it's easier/necessary to use seatbelts instead of LATCH because the seats won't fit otherwise.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Are you looking for full LATCH positions, or just tether anchors?

If I recall correctly, the slightly older Siennas and the newest Odysseys have the most LATCH positions. There are other vehicles, like the Pilot, that have top tethers in all positions. For instance, my Pilot (2006) only has full LATCH in the second row outboard seats, BUT I have top tethers in all six rear positions, as well as headrests and shoulder belts. I LOVE that about my car. I think the older Siennas have five top tether anchors, and the newer Odys have either five or six.

In the vast majority of families with more than three kids in carseats, at least some of those kids will be above LATCH limits. (Honda's is just 40lbs, for instance!) So, those kids need their seats installed with a seatbelt anyways... making a seatbelt + TT position ideal! :)

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm confused as to why this is so important to you? It might be better to consider a wider variety of vehicles that suit your needs rather than limiting yourself based on LATCH seating positions?

All child restraints must be capable of being installed with both LATCH and the seatbelt. In the absence of LATCH in a seating position, you can do a seatbelt install. When talking about LATCH in outboard seating positions, but wanting three across in that row, often times you'd be better off using the seatbelt because LATCH anchors shift the child restraint towards the centre of the vehicle rather than using some of the play you'll have when installing with the seatbelt.

So while some vehicles may have LATCH in 6 seating positions, it's not necessary. And although having top tethers in 6 seating positions is obviously great, since you have so many more options as to where to put your forward-facing children, with seats that now go up to 45lbs rear-facing even top tethers are becoming less important rather than more important...for parents who are educated enough to continue to rear-face to the limits of their seat. Some kids go straight from rear-facing to boosters around here, making top tethers completely unnecessary in those cases.

So I realize I'm not answering your question, and I apologize for that--I don't know the answer..but I would encourage you to reconsider how important this is to you.

-N.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Lower anchors aren't available in all positions for a couple reasons. First, they don't have to. The most a vehicle is required to have is two seating positions with LATCH. Second, it costs more to add them. Probably not a lot, but something.

Third, there often isn't enough room to have three sets of LATCH, especially three sets that are all usable at the same time. LATCH anchors have standard spacing, and I'm not sure there are any third-row seats wide enough to have three full sets of LATCH that can all be used at once.

Bingo! ...and...

Fourth--any vehicle that's large enough to have that number of LATCH positions is also highly likely to exceed the weight requirement for LATCH, therefore not be required to be compliant to any LATCH requirements, let alone 6 seating positions. (I'm thinking along the lines of the Sprinter, the new Nissan van, and similar.)

-N.

Keeanh

You don't need full sets of LATCH to install forward-facing seats. You only need top tethers. I believe some of the Siennas have 6 tether anchors.

How old & how heavy are your children? You can probably get away with fewer anchors. I have 7 children and only use 1 anchor.

bigzsmommy

I am not refusing to buy a car because it doesn't have all latch, I was just wondering if I was missing some reason that it doesn't cover all seats... if it is a spacing issue then that makes sense to me. I was curious as to why they didn't all just have latch, that's why I asked. Frankly I don't know that I'll even bother with an 8 passenger vehicle but skip a step to the 12 passenger since 8 passenger will only buy us space for one more person. I think it's more likely in the event we are pregnant with #6 to just get the larger vehicle. It seems kind of crazy but I think it might be crazier for us to get a different vehicle for 1-2 years then need another one. So just trying to figure it all out ;) thanks for the input!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC