Totally OT: Finance software

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I started using TurboTax in 2002, because that's what the PX carried. I've continued to use TurboTax, even though the PX's selection has expanded, because I've always used TurboTax.

This past year, our finances have gotten more complicated (new retirement plans & charitible contribitions), and next year, they'll get even more complicated (moving back to the US and buying a house). TurboTax comes with a rebate that makes Quicken 2005 Basic free, but when I went to Amazon.com to order it, it has a whole bunch of 1-star ratings, mainly because Quicken now longer allows you to import .qif files.

So, what software do you all recommend to track finances?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I just bought TurboTax 2005 and there were 3 rebates included at most stores. $10 off the price, free Quicken Basic and free Turbotax State.

I used to get automatic updates from my bank until a few years ago, when the bank starting charging $10 a month for the service:-( Citibank supposedly still allows me to download transactions through QIF, as it is listed in the program. I don't use QIF imports, though, so I can't confirm it. If they have discontinued QIF, that would annoy a large number of customers I suspect.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Yes, TurboTax 2005 with all the rebates is what I bought yesterday. After I posted, I remembered that several computer crashes ago, I actually had Quicken (2002?). I may see if I can find that disk and just use that, rather than updating to a 2005 version of Quicken or Microsoft Money.

Realistically, our finances aren't that complicated. I just find myself wondering if I've forgotten anything when tax season rolls around - especially since I like to do my taxes early, and many financial places don't send out their 1099s until Feb 1, and mail to APO addresses is stupid slow.

Anyway, if you were considering upgrading to Quicken 2005, I suggest you read the reviews on Amazon or wherever. There were lots of irate reviewers.

sirrahn

We've used Microsoft Money and found it to be a real PITB after a while. DH ended up designing us our own financial tracking program in Excel. It's customized to keep track of what we need it to, allows us to project how things will stand in the future, and doesn't have a bunch of junk we don't need. I'm actually the one who uses it and I love it.

He does our taxes (already filed this year;-) with TaxCut and while it doesn't import directly, it's very quick for him to get the info he needs to do it.

Just an idea:)nat

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Thankfully ... my local credit union has a VITA program so volunteers & bank employees do my taxes for me for free :cool: & I got more money back that way than when I did it myself & even compared to when I paid over $200 for an accountant!

GOOD LUCK

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC