Mustang Convertible

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NewJerseyGuys

Mustang Convertible

My problem is pretty much the topic. I have a Mustang Conv year 2001. I have purchased 2 car seats already and none of them seem to fit properly. First one was the the Century Bravo LX and now we have purchased the Evenflow Triumph. We loved both seats, however the Bravo left me sitting in the backseat with the baby because the front passenger seat had to be pushed all the way forward, and when we went to install the Triumph the same thing. I am really frustrated because I can't afford to buy another car and we are pretty much stuck with this car for a few more years. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, I hear of people using towels under the car seats what is this for? Please advise. Thank you.

ADS
C

Caviller

Sorry to hear about your problems-

Unfortunately, as you have discovered, convertibles, small pickups and small coupes often are not very carseat friendly.

Still, there should be some seats that might work for you. First, you should check the "Compatibility" link under the top banner on this page to see what other parents may have tried.

Can you please post the age and weight of your child(ren), and whether you have them front or rear facing? With that information, we might be able to give you a little more specific help!

Thanks!

Darren

N

NewJerseyGuys

My daughter is 6 months and weighs 22lbs. and is 27" long.

R

Robert

Re: Mustang Convertible

As Darren had already mentioned, an mustang is a difficult car to install a child seat especially rear facing. I have tried to install a few and found it is very difficult. Your best bet is to find a store that has several models to try out in your vehicle. A speciality baby store is a good bet and explain your problem. Some of them will assist you and let you try the seats before you purchase. When you find a seat you like, locate a local fitting station and let them give you a hand. See the fitting station link at the top.

M

murphydog77

The Triumph is one of the shortest seats available, so it may be that you'll have to be in the back seat for at least 6 months. Another seat you can try to locate is a Fisher Price Safe Embrace. It's about an inch shorter than the Triumph and has some excellent safety features like EPS foam, built-in seat belt lockoffs and wide non-twist harness straps. It's not manufactured any more, but you can still find it at some Big Lots stores for around $40, which is a definite steal. I agree that your best bet is probably heading to a store with a wide selection that you can try before you buy.

Don't forget that a 6 month old can be more upright than 45 degrees. You don't want the seat completely upright, but do whatever is comfortable for your daughter and allows her to sleep without her head flopping forward. Also, the seat can be braced against the front seats (exception: Century SmartMove). Having the seat more upright and braced against the front seats may make it possible for you to ride in the front seat.

Heather

J

jillerry

mustang convertible

We have also recently purchased a mustang convertible. I would like to know if it's legal in NJ to ride with the top down and the children in their forward facing carseats.

Thank You!

Jill

R

Robert

Jill, you will need to contact a police department in NJ for that answer. My concern with children in the vehicle with the top down is that they are further from the windshield and would have less protection. Flying road debri might strike your children and could injue them.
Robert

J

Julie

Convertible car with car seats...

I never found out if it was legal or not, but when we used to even TRY to put the top down, my kids would scream and scream..they just hated it! Debris flying into them is also a good point. I would never have done it for a long trip, as the wind and sun would probably cause some degree of dehydration, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC