I'm so confused and need help!

dvmroth

Hi, I have a 6 year old who is 42 inches tall and only 34 lbs.
He is too tall for his 5 point harness seats. And I am not convinced that a high back booster is right for him. While he would fit in a variety of seats by weight, his height is just too tall. Can he be in a seat that the shoulder straps are under his shoulders--because his weight is so light? If not--can someone explain why? Also, am I right that although he meets the height requirements his weight is really too low for a booster? And why do they rate boosters to 30 lbs if kids really shouldn't ride in them? And last, are my choices at this point to buy him a Britax marathon or wizard and how does the recent recall affect my purchase of them? I've also seen the nania airway and think it would be perfect for him--but can't find anyone who has it in stock. Are there anyother seats that offer a higher harness slot?
Thanks so much for any help and suggestions. I feel so frustrated at this point!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No, his shoulders can't be above the top slots...that can lead to increased head excursion and possibly too much spinal pressure in a crash. Have you tried a seat with 17inch top slots, such as the Graco Cargo or Evenflo Chase? Those are the same height as the Marathon or Airway.
If you feel your child is mature enough for a booster (will ALWAYS keep the lapbelt on the lap and the shoulderbelt on the shoulder) then most of the highback ones start at 30 pounds (just for the situation you are in, actually...tall, thin children who are truly old enough for a booster).
If you want the added safety of a 5-pt harness for a long, long time to come, then the Husky (the post-recall versions are already on the shelf)would be your best bet at this age, IMO, but try out a Graco or Evenflo Combo Booster...those harness till 40 pounds and about 47 inches, for most kids.

I hope that helps a little...my dd is almost exactly that size...she's almost 5, and has a little growing room left in her Marathon, and rides in a booster some of the time quite well, too.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I'm running short on time today, so I apologize if I miss something.

First, a 5 point harnss is outgrown by height when the child's shoulders are above the top slots or the tops of his ears are above the seat back. What seat is he in now? It's quite possible that there is a seat with significantly higher slots than the one you're currently using. The reason you want the straps at or above the shoulders when the seat is front facing is to avoid compressing the spine too much during a crash. (I'm sure someone else could give a more detailed explanation, but that's the short version.)

They rate boosters from 30 lb for two reasons:
  1. Because some children will be too tall for the harness before they hit 40 lb. Tall children who are mature enough to sit properly in a booster can safely use one before 40 lb.
  2. Profit! The fact is that most parents are more likely to buy a booster that says it can be used from 30 lb than one with a bottom limit of 33, 35 or 40 lb. [/list=1]

Because your son is tall and skinny, you really don't need a seat with a higher weight limit (although you certainly could go that route if you choose) so much as one with taller top slots. The Britax Marathon & Wizard have slightly taller top slots than the combo/booster seats out there (e.g., the Graco Platinum/Ultra Cargo, the Evenflo Chase or Comet, and the Nania Airway). The Britax Husky has significantly taller top slots, but may be "overkill" in your situation. It really depends on what you want.

dvmroth

Thank you so much for your info! It's been so helpful. My son was riding in a Cosco eddie bauer with an overhead shield as a spare seat in my husbands car. He had seriously outgrown the shoulder slots so I put him in a graco turbobooster for now. The belt fits over his hips (not on his belly) and on his shoulder w/o touching his neck. I also ordered the Nania Airway to see how it fits him. We live in a ski resort in Colorado and have to drive him 20 miles on the interstate to school in (sometimes) really BAD road conditions. I feel better about having him in a 5 pt. harness--especially for the winter.

In my car he still fits in a Cosco Alpha Omega--but shoulder straps are level with his shoulders. Am I correct that it is ok for them to be level but once his shoulders go above then I need to switch out seat? Also, in the booster, I've read where some parents are using the locking seat belt (pulling it all the way out and then letting it go back in to lock). I hadn't heard of that -- is that important? I am headed to Walmart today with a tape measure to check out the Cargo seat strap height as compared to his Alpha Omega if the Nania doesn't work out.

Have you heard much about the Nania? I've read the reviews on epinons but didn't know if you have any personal experiance with them. I called the company direct today to order a seat and also found out that they have just been bought out by century (?).

Again, I can't thank you enough for your help so far. We have a car seat check here locally but they only do it once a month.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If the Alpha Omega still fits him, unfortunately you are using it wrong. The very top harness postition is for booster use only, and when used with the harness, it fails testing (there's a little stamp on the back that's hard to see that says, "top position for booster use only") That seat is very very short, and many kids outgrow it at around age 3. (I hope I didn't scare you by saying that...the best thing about car seat safety is that you can write off past mistakes and start fresh with every single ride :) ).
For now, you must either take the harness out and use the seat as a booster (base off, too...the manual will have all those details). If you feel it fits him well as a booster (that the shoulder and lapbelt fit the same way they do on him as in the Turbo), then use it that way for now (on some kids, the lapbelt rides a little high or the shoulderbelt is held an inch or more off the shoulder...that would not be a good fit).
You CAN lock the belt when used in booster mode, but you don't have to. It's only safer to do that if it's keeping the child in position better (and can be helpful for napping)...you can just see how that goes.

I had the Airway, and found it somewhat challenging to use properly, but overall it's not a bad seat....fairly comfortable, fairly non-twist straps, fairly easy to install...be patient with it, it has straps ALL over the place (LATCH/Tether, harness, headrest, neck pads...it made me think of an octopus at first!). If it seems like he has the same amount of growing room in that as in the Cargo or Chase, then you might be happier with a Cargo or Chase, but that's just my opinion...I think some people DO like their Airways just fine)

dvmroth

So if I understand what you are saying--the top harness position fails testing when used as a forward facing car seat. Just for clarification--if it says for use as booster only--why would you even offer the top harness position? and why would you be using a harness if you were using it as a booster?

As a parent this whole car seat "regulation" thing just seems a joke. How many millions of kids are out there--just like mine with well intentioned parents--having their kids ride around in totally unsafe carseats!

I went to Walmart today to check out the Graco Cargo and was really pleased with it. I think I am going to order the Platinum as it comes with EPS foam on the sides. In the meantime, I'm taking out the AO and will be using the Turbobooster.

Again, Thanks so much. I will recommend this website to everyone I know who has questions about car seats. You guys do a great job answering questions!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I suppose the Alpha Omega is unusual in having that very top-most position unusable, and the harness still in it...I guess because the way the bar moves and the harness moves with it, so you never have to rethread it. For slightly heavier children, there's a problem with the harness being WAY too tight when it's in the top position, so that sometimes limits misuse...but frankly it's a poor design all around when caring, contientious parents read manuals, do everything right, and still something is wrong!

I really hope the Airway or Cargo works for you :)

sirrahn

Just for clarification--if it says for use as booster only--why would you even offer the top harness position? and why would you be using a harness if you were using it as a booster?

Actually the reason for that is to raise the *headrest* a bit more to make it a taller booster. It has nothing to do with the harness.

I agree though that it's a very easy mistake to make and poor design. I have a newer Alpha Omega Elite and it has the same restriction. It is pretty clear in the manual and stamped on the back of the seat, but unless you reread the manual frequently or squint at the hard to read stamping on the back every time you adjust it, it would be very easy to forget.

I hope the Cargo or Airway work well for you:)nat~CPS tech

U

Unregistered

I checked my son's seat later that day and thankfully it was not in the top position to be used by booster seat only. But it was in the second to top position (highest position allowable for use as car seat.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC