booster seat/rental cars

M

mdsvc89

I'm travelling next week with my nearly 4 year old, who uses a Graco belt positioning booster safely (doesn't fiddle with the seatbelt, sits up, etc.)

When DH and I both travel with her, I bring OUR booster, because I know it's safe, and she's used to it.

However, I'll be wrangling her (no more stroller for her) and a suitcase, and it would be easier logistically for me to request a booster seat from the rental car company.

I know that some of the mechanisms used on other booster seats have a tendency not to let the seatbelt retract properly if the child pulls on it during the trip.

I do always pull the seatbelt all the way out and then lock it in place when she rides in the BPB. As mentioned above, she's very into seatbelt safety, and sits correctly.

So, any btdt? What would you recommend? I will definitely bring ours if there are safety considerations.

(Oh, and she's 43lbs and 43" tall)

-Michelle

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I've rented one seat, and boy, never again! Blech, it was so gross!
What I would do instead, probably for about the same money, is to get a seat that separates into back and base, like the turbo booster or big kid. Then pack the back in your suitcase, and bring the base on as carryon (don't use it on the plane of course, but stick it in the overhead, and that way you'll be SURE to have a seat when you arrive). Or if she never ever sleeps in the car, you can probably just get a backless booster for even less and bring that along (she's short enough that even if the car doesn' have tall headrests, her head will be protected by the seat back).
She's probably big enough to manage her own seat (the turbo or cosco ambassador are light, the big kid is probably too heavy for her), and sitting on it while waiting for your plane can be an interesting diversion for a 4 yo :)

U

Unregistered

at 4 your child should now how to behave well enough that although it will be a pain to take her seat, it would be the way I would go. I travelled 8 mos pregnant w/ a 2 year old & all our luggage & her seat...so it can be done. You don't know how well those seats have been taken care of and her safety is the most important thing
Erin

U

Unregistered

We just traveled to cross-country (2 adults, 4 kids - ranging in age from 1-13). My 5yo carried her own backless booster. At home she's in a Husky, but the backless booster was great for travel.

M

mdsvc89

thanks -- have turbo booster will travel

Thanks for all the advice. I will disconnect the back from our second turbo booster, and put it in a suitcase, and carry on the bottom (don't want to be standing in the parking lot at JFK disconnecting the one she rides in to get there and stuffing it into the suitcase)

-Michelle

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC