Ugh...more opinions please

agurlsride

Ok...SIL is selling some of her seats that she no longer uses. One is an Eddie Bauer 3 in 1..approx 3 years old so I'm almost positive it has the lower harness slots and no EPP foam, the other is an Evenflo Triumph DLX about 2 years old. If you were to buy one of them (the EB for $50 or the Triumph for $25) which would you pick for a 30lb 27mo old...with the knowledge that he can RF in the EB but it has no EPP foam and wont be usable for long when FF, and with the Triumph he cannot RF but would be able to FF longer (height wise), last year my then 6yr old dd and her 7yr old brother could still fit by height in the Triumph with room to grow...seriously, I have pics to prove it!

ADS

abacus2

For a 2+, 30lb+ kid, I'd chose the Triumph. What is he currently using? Can he RF in his current seat still?

agurlsride

For a 2+, 30lb+ kid, I'd chose the Triumph. What is he currently using? Can he RF in his current seat still?
Right now he is rf'ing in a Scenera, while I dont hate the seat, I really dont like the fact that it has NO padding whatsoever (I noticed that the newer Sceneras at Walmart have more padding....grrr)..and no EPS foam either. I am leaning towards the Triumph because of the foam and the fact that it would last him longer...and the padding. :) Its also more around what I can spend...money is very tight...and there really isnt anything to spare.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Remember that this is in an OLD Triumph, so very short shell and only 40 lb limit. (As opposed to the Triumph Advance)

agurlsride

Remember that this is in an OLD Triumph, so very short shell and only 40 lb limit. (As opposed to the Triumph Advance)

Oh yes, thanks :) I know. I used to have 2 of the old Triumphs...I'll attach pics of my older kids in them! Only my oldest and youngest dd's rode in these seats as they were both under the 40lb limit.

This is my oldest dd..she is 6 in this pic.
346.jpg

This is my oldest ds, he is 7 here...
347.jpg

349.jpg

agurlsride

Wow. Talk about getting your money's worth out of those seats.

Yeah tell me about it....but my kids are pretty small so thats probably an advantage...ds just barely hit 48lbs at 8.5yrs old.

I am still toying between car seats...I liked the Triumph ok, and have never used an EB although I've always been curious about them. I feel bad about FF'ing ds at this age, I was hoping to keep him rf'ing until he was 3.
The plan was to keep him rf'ing until age 3 and then move him to a Nautilus or Frontier..whichever I could afford. I have a newly turned 5yr old who's been in a booster for 6 months that I am dying to put back in a harnessed seat but haven't had the money...its looking like she'll be 6 before I could even think about it and at that point I'd be comfortable with her in a booster full time.
I don't know...I basically have until tomorrow morning to decide before she gets rid of one of them to another friend. So right now I have first pick.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
What is the RFing limit on the old Triumphs? I know some older Evenflo seats only RFed to 30 pounds, which would make the decision moot.

myliljunebugs

The old Evenflo Triumph only rear faces to 30lbs, which is why this seat could make a difference in RF/FF :)

agurlsride, Do you know that you will be able to buy a new FF seat for him in a year or two? If so I would probably get the AO to keep him RF and then save for the FF seat. I love my EFTA, and loved my Triumph, but especially if you want to continue to RF I would go with the AO. I might be wrong, but I was thinking RF w/o EPS foam is still safer than FF with it. Right? Oh, and that is so cool that your kids used the Triumph for so long! I was stoked that my son made it to 4! LOL

ginny4

i orginally thinking the AO since you want RF longer (35lbs) BUT the shell is short on it. how tall is your son's torso? my DS would be too tall to RF in it. his torso is 13in (i just checked) & i also sat him in the AO for a minute & he is ababout 1in from top of shell

Last edited:

agurlsride

The old Evenflo Triumph only rear faces to 30lbs, which is why this seat could make a difference in RF/FF :)

agurlsride, Do you know that you will be able to buy a new FF seat for him in a year or two? If so I would probably get the AO to keep him RF and then save for the FF seat. I love my EFTA, and loved my Triumph, but especially if you want to continue to RF I would go with the AO. I might be wrong, but I was thinking RF w/o EPS foam is still safer than FF with it. Right? Oh, and that is so cool that your kids used the Triumph for so long! I was stoked that my son made it to 4! LOL

Actually I dont know whether we'll be financially able to buy a ff'ing HWH seat for him for a while...the triumph just seems more practical right now I guess..I'll just have to get over the rf'ing thing. :-O

agurlsride

i orginally thinking the AO since you want RF longer (35lbs) BUT the shell is short on it. how tall is your son's torso? my DS would be too tall to RF in it. his torso is 13in (i just checked) & i also sat him in the AO for a minute & he is ababout 1in from top of shell

I put ds in an AOE yesterday and his head was just a tad below the top of the shell....his torso is 12.5" so I guess it really wouldn't be worth it?

abacus2

Why don't you get the Triumph, but continue to use the Scenera until it's outgrown RFing? Rfing is safer than FFing even when considering EPS foam, but once FFing is required, the Triumph is the best of your three easily affordable options.

agurlsride

Why don't you get the Triumph, but continue to use the Scenera until it's outgrown RFing? Rfing is safer than FFing even when considering EPS foam, but once FFing is required, the Triumph is the best of your three easily affordable options.
Yeah, I thought about that and its probably what I will do...at least until the end of the summer...I probably will put him in the seat for our trip to CA in June just because its going to be more comfortable than sitting in an unpadded Scenera for 11 hours.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC