Booster or 5 point?

U

Unregistered

My 41/2 year old daughter is in a Gaco Alpha Omega. She weighs 37 lbs and her shoulders are just about even with the upper - most slots for the straps in its highest position. I would like to use this current seat with my 21/2 year old son as he is curently in an evenflow 3 point with the over the head safety bar ( which are not as safe as the 5 point). Is she ready for a booster (Graco Turbo )? Should I keep her in the Alpha and use it as a booster? Or should she stay in the 5 point until she gains 3 more pounds? Do the seat belt straps get caught on the guides as a booster? If I keep her in the Alpha I will simply buy another convertable 5 point for my son. - Which 5 points have the highest weight limit for front facing?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If you are using the very topmost slots on the AO, you need to use it as a booster or stop using it...those very top slots are for booster use only, and are not safe when used with the harness (I wasn't sure if that's what you were saying when you said she's in the top slots, but it's a very common mistake...). If you think your 4 yo is capable of sitting still with the shoulderbelt always on her shoulder, then the Turbo is a fine choice, and whil the AO isn't bad as a booster if it fits well, the Turbo just works a little better, IMO :)
You can call cosco to get a replacement harness for your AO if you want to put your 2 yo in it...they straps are now polyester and much less ropy/twisty.
If you want a higher harness weight seat, the best choices now are the Britax Marathon, Wizard, or Husky. There's another option, the Combi Acadia that will harness to 50 pounds then become a booster, but it's not quite available yet, so I'm not sure how nice it is (it's cheaper than the Britaxes, anyway).

Hope that helps,

U

Unregistered

Thanks for your reply - by top slots I meant the 2nd from the top - or the last ones usuable as a FF carseat.

I have the new straps for the Alpha Omega thanks to this board. It is like a whole new carseat! No more tangles!

My daughteris 38 pounds and 4 1/2 - it was tough to tell if the slots were even with or below her shoulders. Given that she was so close to ( or maybe over due to her height) the limits of her seat, I decided to switch her to a Turbo Booster.

Her 2 1/2 year old brother has now moved from an Evenflo Trooper (3 point) to her Alpha Omega. How much safer are the 5 points? Given that I felt he would be dafer and that my daughter would be fine in the Turbo I made the switch. Does this sound like a reasonable decision or should I have left my daughter in the Alpha until I was sure she had outgrown it?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC