comfy booster for 8 year old for road trip

jewels2b

My DD turns 8 in June and we are going on a long road trip in July. 5+ hours of driving a day for a couple weeks. She is a big time complainer! Always complains her back or legs hurt. She's super picky too!! We will get a styrofoam cooler for a footrest but I need to find either a comfy nbb (with latch) and get the cardiff head rest or a comfy hbb for her. I can pass the booster down to my almost 5 year old who is in a radian that will expire next year so I'm not worried about lifespan. I need a seat that is not too wide at the back of the base so that she can get to the buckle. I have found some of these wide boosters make it really difficult to access the buckles, especially if they are positioned next to another car seat. She's not at home so I'm not sure how tall she is but at last measurement in december she was 51.5" tall. She weighs 70lbs. Any recs on a comfy boostervthat is available to currently buy? Seems some of the most popular ones aren't available anymore.

I should add that she hates the incognito. It slides forward on the leather seats and she hates threading the belt in the guides. She likes arm rests and cupholders too.

ADS

Dillipop

We've had a Diono Monterey for almost 6 years. Amazon.com : Diono Monterey High Back Booster with Adjustable Headrest, Bloom : Baby

My ds finds it super comfy and is even still using it now that he has passed the 5 step test because the belt still fits fine and he likes it. We've done lots of 8 hour trips with him in it both backless and with the back. We also moved cross country last summer and he rode in it with the back the whole way. We were in the car for 6 days over the course of a week and a half and did between 10 and 12 hours a day. No complaints.

He's never had a problem buckling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjordan

The Recaro Performance booster looks really comfy to me! My 6 year old has one and seems to really like it. I'm not sure how it would work out with your buckle situation, but if you can find one in person to try in your car (maybe at a Buy Buy Baby?), then go for it. :)

aeormsby

The Recaro Performance booster is super comfy but very wide at the base, so that might not work so well for you. If you're not doing seats next to each other it might still be worth checking out, my 7yo has no problem buckling it now, and even knows to scoot it before he gets in so it's not covering the buckle. You could also look at the Britax Parkway, we have an older one (the original latching one that's 4yo) but I'll be putting the back on it for a long road trip in a week for my 9yo, she's been using it backless for about a year now.

jewels2b

So I did go and get the kidfit at target. I loved the seat. The shoulder belt would have still fit for for a bit longer.... but alas... she hated it. Refused to used it. THIS CHILD!!!! uugh! She loves her Evenflo Big kid (flip up arms and slide out cupholders). I hate that seat though and the shoulder part won't fit for much longer. She's at the top setting and I almost have to make it backless. And then when it's backless, since no latch, it slides out from under her a bit. So frustrating. I wish there was a store close to me where I could take her to see these good seats in person and let her pick. She refuses to even look at them online.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC