Trying to compare Scenera to BLVD

Mama Jo

Ok, so they're not exactly in the same "class", I get that, but humor me. Here's my issue...

Right now, my BLVD is multi-functional, but it's just not the most convenient seat to be used for this purpose. DS uses it as his primary seat. But when I have either the step-kids or my nephews with me, DS uses the SS1 so I can use the BLVD for the bigger kids. DSD is FF'ing and DNe is RF'ing. This weekend, the BLVD was moved 4 times in 2 days!! And it goes from LATCH in one position to seatbelt in another. The seatbelt install is kind of a pain and it usually takes me a couple of times to get it solid.

Anyway... I don't have the budget right now for much and so I was considering using a Scenera just for DSD and DNe for the time being. So DS can stay in the BLVD and I don't have to move it. Is it easy to flip the Scenera back and forth from RF'ing to FF'ing? Install would usually be with a seatbelt. And how does the shell height and top harness slot compare the BLVD? DSD is only 2 but she's 36 lbs and really tall. DNe is quite a bit smaller and still RF'ing, so I'm not worried about it for him as much.

ADS

Maedze

The top harness height of the Scenera is about 2.5" shorter than the BV. It's conceivable a 'very tall' 2 year old may be too tall for it.

The Scenera is a breeze to install FF, and a PITA to install rearfacing in some vehicles, in my experience. You will likely need a pool noodle.

What about throwing DS in the SS1 when DNephew visits, and buying an Evenflo Chase for DSD when she visits?

Maedze

Oooorrr...(now getting a little pricier here) What about buying an EFTA? It would surely fit both Dnephew and DSD, and you wouldnt' have to rethread the straps or worry about a 40 lb weight limit.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm wondering what issues you're having installing the BV? For instance, did you know you can just use the slits in the cover to do a seatbelt RF install so you don't have to pull the cover up? And if the seatbelt locks, there's no need to muck with the lockoffs. And there's no need to top tether it RF, really. All those can save a bit of headache. I only say this because I can do a RF Britax in about 42 seconds, and a Scenera is blood, sweat, and tears every time (granted, I harbor a great dislike for it for tipping my kid sideways once http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/TippyScenera# --I just tossed it in fast and didn't want to put a locking clip on, but one of those would have prevented it, but that just doesn't happen with a BV and a seatbelt, lol).

:)

Mama Jo

The other catch is it has to fit 3 across... EFTA won't work. It's ginormous.

I'm trying to ditch the SS1 because the "best" place for it with all the other seats is the 3rd row and DS isn't happy in the 3rd row. He's *usually* happy in the BLVD in the second row, especially when there's kids in the 3rd row he can see...

Mama Jo

I'm wondering what issues you're having installing the BV? For instance, did you know you can just use the slits in the cover to do a seatbelt RF install so you don't have to pull the cover up? And if the seatbelt locks, there's no need to muck with the lockoffs. And there's no need to top tether it RF, really. All those can save a bit of headache. I only say this because I can do a RF Britax in about 42 seconds, and a Scenera is blood, sweat, and tears every time (granted, I harbor a great dislike for it for tipping my kid sideways once http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/TippyScenera# --I just tossed it in fast and didn't want to put a locking clip on, but one of those would have prevented it, but that just doesn't happen with a BV and a seatbelt, lol).

:)

The RF install is with LATCH. That one's the easy one. The FF install is with the seatbelt. I don't use the lockoffs, but my seatbelts and 3rd row seat are a pain. To get it tight, I have to recline the seat, buckle it in, lock the seatbelt, and then push the back of the seat up. (The seatbelt never seems to lock tight enough, I have a hard time getting it up to the next "notch", hence the need to recline and then push up the seat back.) Then the seat sometimes tips. Or still moves front to back. So I have to take it out and do it again. I hate the HUGS for RF'ing because they cover DS' entire torso and make it hard to tighten, but I've left them on because that added another step when I had to turn it FF'ing.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ooooh. I couldn't have even imagined a problem with an FF install. D'oh! Just get your knee in it, pull UP HARD on the shoulderbelt on the buckle side, and then clamp the lockoff.

Then again, I don't really blame you for wanting a second seat...the bulk of the beast is enough to make it annoying to move, lol. :)

Mama Jo

Ooooh. I couldn't have even imagined a problem with an FF install. D'oh! Just get your knee in it, pull UP HARD on the shoulderbelt on the buckle side, and then clamp the lockoff.

Then again, I don't really blame you for wanting a second seat...the bulk of the beast is enough to make it annoying to move, lol. :)

The neighbors probably think I'm insane! I have the back of the van open so I can mess with the seat back, and I'm sitting on my knees in the BLVD, jumping up and down, while I'm pulling/pushing up on the seatbelt at the same time!! If I didn't love the cow cover and I thought a TF would fit 3 across (which I'm sure it wouldn't) I'd trade it!! lol I've sustained more injuries from that and the Frontier than I care to even discuss!! lol

firemomof3

The neighbors probably think I'm insane! I have the back of the van open so I can mess with the seat back, and I'm sitting on my knees in the BLVD, jumping up and down, while I'm pulling/pushing up on the seatbelt at the same time!! If I didn't love the cow cover and I thought a TF would fit 3 across (which I'm sure it wouldn't) I'd trade it!! lol I've sustained more injuries from that and the Frontier than I care to even discuss!! lol

:ROTFLMAO:
This made me laugh so hard!

NannyMom

I have a BV and a Scenera. I have always found the Scenera very easy to install both RF and FF. I like to do RF with LATCH though. I don't need noodles. I just stand behind it (like it Defrost's pic) and push it into the vehicle seat at the angle I want it. The for FF, undo the lower acnhors, hook them together behind the seat, and install with seatbelt. Sofi has about outgrown it by height RF (last wek checked she had 2 inches above her head), but could still use it FF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC