Question child restraint in front passenger

smiley

What does it actually mean when a manual says you can put a front facing child restraint in the passenger front seat if you move the vehicle seat all the way back?
Does that mean only a harness? A Hbb? Is a LBB allowed there?

A child can't ride there just belted until 12 or whatever the law is, but could technically in a booster up till age 11ish?

I'm just curious how one thing sort or skirts another law.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Your state doesn't require kids to be in the back by law. http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...pe=HTM&ttl=75&div=0&chpt=45&sctn=81&subsctn=0

However, even if you were in mine and it DID, if I had four kids and a five seater, I'd put the oldest harnessed forward facing child in front. Passenger side seatbelts lock like the backseat seatbelts to accommodate carseats in cases of emergency (or sometimes ignorance, and occasional medical necessity).

Wendy

Dillipop

Technically, if all seats are filled in the rear, most states have an exception to a law of kids in the backseat and some don't have a law about it at all.

In my situation, I have an 8 passenger vehicle. There are some times that I've had 7 kids with me. In that situation, I actually put my oldest, who is 11.5 in the front seat using a bubblebum. I do this because it is a heck of a lot easier than moving a harnessed seat for a 4 year old to the front for a 5 minute drive. If we were going further, I probably wouldn't load up 7 kids...

smiley

On one hand I'm surprised that I don't have to fill up my back rows first BUT what do I expect from a state that allows kids to rise on motorcycles at any age? The thought kinda freaks me out being able to put a kid up front, but i guess IF I drove a truck a kid would be up front anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC