Question How to lock the seatbelt (Volvo V70)

HelenW

Hello!
We just bought a new Diono Radian Rxt and are trying to install it rear-facing in our 1998 Volvo V70.

We are using the lap/shoulder belt. On the reverse of the buckle there's a red button that we slid over to "child seat" but I'm not sure if it's actually locking or not. The belt still comes out of the upper shoulder spot when pulled.
How do you know that the belt is locked? Should it not cone out at all when pulled?

I'm also not sure about using the tether. There aren't any bolted down parts under the seat to use and the only thing we could find is a metal loop that come out of the bottom of the backseat (below the child seat) does it make any sense to tether to that? This would mean the tether belt goes at an angle back towards the child seat.

Thanks so much!
Helen

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I don't know about Volvo seatbelts.

You cannot tether a seat under itself. Do you have the D-ring to make a rear-facing tether point?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Switching the button makes it lock at the buckle, not at the shoulder belt retractor. Just buckle, pull tight, and it will stay tight. The metal loop on the floor is a rear facing tether location for Swedish rear facing seats.

henrietta

Hello!
We just bought a new Diono Radian Rxt and are trying to install it rear-facing in our 1998 Volvo V70.

We are using the lap/shoulder belt. On the reverse of the buckle there's a red button that we slid over to "child seat" but I'm not sure if it's actually locking or not. The belt still comes out of the upper shoulder spot when pulled.
How do you know that the belt is locked? Should it not cone out at all when pulled?

I'm also not sure about using the tether. There aren't any bolted down parts under the seat to use and the only thing we could find is a metal loop that come out of the bottom of the backseat (below the child seat) does it make any sense to tether to that? This would mean the tether belt goes at an angle back towards the child seat.

Thanks so much!
Helen

SafeintheCar got it on the seatbelt.

Where exactly is this metal loop you're referring to? Did Volvo actually have tether anchors in cars in 1998?

The '02 Volvo XC70 (Cross Country version of the V70) that we recently sold had 3 top tether anchors for *forward* facing car seats on the seat backs of the back seat. I did look for top tether locations to tether my car seat rear facing and could find a few not-so-great possibilities. It's my understanding that the rear facing tether should be attached to a structure in front of the car seat (like one of the fixed legs of the front seat in front of it).

hths

safeinthecar

SafeintheCar got it on the seatbelt.

Where exactly is this metal loop you're referring to? Did Volvo actually have tether anchors in cars in 1998?

The '02 Volvo XC70 (Cross Country version of the V70) that we recently sold had 3 top tether anchors for *forward* facing car seats on the seat backs of the back seat. I did look for top tether locations to tether my car seat rear facing and could find a few not-so-great possibilities. It's my understanding that the rear facing tether should be attached to a structure in front of the car seat (like one of the fixed legs of the front seat in front of it).

hths

Yes, the 98 volvo had metal rfing tether loops http://thecarseatlady.com/rearfacingtether/

Britax seats that tether to the top of the shell actually were in conflict with the WHIPPS system on older Volvos, but the lower TT locations of Radians should be OK. I would call Volvo to confirm however.

safeinthecar

Which is not what the OP is describing. She is referring to a (possibly fine for forward-facing) tether point UNDER the vehicle seat on which the carseat is installed. Carseats can't be tethered under themselves.

Oh, I read it wrong. Maybe the pic I posted will help the OP find the correct anchors.

Dillipop

Which is not what the OP is describing. She is referring to a (possibly fine for forward-facing) tether point UNDER the vehicle seat on which the carseat is installed. Carseats can't be tethered under themselves.

I thought Diono had ok'd this? Or am I thinking about something else?

henrietta

Aha!!!

I remember those!!! LOL We tethered our Combi Coccorro to them, and I thought they looked an awfully lot like a deliberate spot to rear facing tether!!! LOL But I do not recall them EVER being mentioned in the car's manual. Weird, huh?

OP, use the metal things that are on the seat tracks of the front seats to rear facing tether your Radians. ;) Just click on the link given and scroll down. You'll see it where she talks about Volvo and it's rear facing tether point. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC