Question recaro pro sport

smiley

Why does it have a hard rule of 49 inches max height even though a child may have a shirt torso and still be under both the top harness height limit and the ears still midway?

ADS

smiley

Ah. I just got the seat hoping my 6 yo could get a little more use out if it harnessed than his current radian rxt. He still has a good inch from the slots in the top most position and he's under the headrest mid point.
As a side note it arrived from Amazon in the most bizarre packaging. Just loose in a plastic bag with brown packing paper stuffed around it in a gigantic square Amazon box. I've never seen a seat not in a manufacturer box.

Keeyamah

Is it 49" for forward facing or rearfacing? I don't own the seat and so have no clue, but that seems like an awfully short forward facing limit... And I didn't think that seat was that short.

smiley

Ff limit. It seemed odd since my ds is nearly 48.5 and by the "usual" tests still had room to go harnessed in it, but not if you followed recaro ' s 49 in Ff harness max height (it's one of 3 things to use it..age over 1, weight range and height range)

Last edited:

smiley

I haven't tried installing it to see if it fits in the car, but is it ok to ignore the manufacturer 49 limit if the other logical ff limit tests are ok?

smiley

Recaro says they only test with a 49 in tall dummy not anything taller in harness mode. She did say the top slot is 19" which puts it up with the Frontier in terms if harness height capabilities.

I asked what the torso height of the 49 in dummy was and she said they don't break down torso height for testing purposes.

smiley

Recaro was evasive on that direct question. They said they only test to 49 in and then they test booster mode. Can a tech give an opinion?

Carolinadaisy

Recaro was evasive on that direct question. They said they only test to 49 in and then they test booster mode. Can a tech give an opinion?
I'm not a tech, but here's my opinion. It may be fine, but if it hasn't been tested with a larger child, then who knows? Not to sound harsh, but if you use a seat past a manufacturer's tested limit, you would essentially be using your child as a test dummy in the event of an accident.

Personally, I would convert to booster mode as long as child is over 5 and able to be taught how to sit properly. I'm just not ok with using a seat beyond a tested limit. My ds1 is 6, 48.5" and has outgrown the Graco Nautilus. He rides boostered with my DH and with Nana and in a Frontier 85 with me. He will likely be switching to a booster full time in my van before April when our new baby arrives.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
As a tech, I can't tell you to it's ok to ignore the manufacturer's limits. If you wanted to make the decision to continue using it as long as the child still otherwise fits, I wouldn't consider it the most horrible thing in the world.

smiley74

Guess I'm back to square one which is what I kinda figured. I can't get a Frontier in the third row because it has to be tethered and it's so wide I can't get a spare car seat booster back there. I really wanted a tall harnessed seat for my 48.5" 6.5 yo ds and hope to get another year plus with him in it so I still had that harness option for carpooling with my younger kids. Am I missing any seat options out there for an outboard 3rd row Sienna 2013? my younger kids can't buckle and unbuckle themselves so moving one of them to the back isn't what I want to do. Right now my third row has ds in radian rxt, bubblebum, and 8 yo dd in parkway sgl from passenger to driver. I hate putting a booster next to a harnessed middle seat because the carpool kids inevitably unbuckle the harnessed seat.

1mommy

You can place a plastic cup with the bottom cut off around the seatbelt used to install the harnessed seat to avoid confusion, or a sock with the toe cut out. Also instead of a Frontier how about a SureRide?

smiley

Haven't thought about the sureride. How does it work as a booster? He'd be harnessed for at least another year, but then I'd let him go hbb when my 3rd is old enough to have her friends in a hbb in my car. He's 48.5 " now.

Keeyamah

Haven't thought about the sureride. How does it work as a booster? He'd be harnessed for at least another year, but then I'd let him go hbb when my 3rd is old enough to have her friends in a hbb in my car. He's 48.5 " now.

It is a convertible seat, it doesn't have a booster mode, but it's only $100 and has 19-19.5" top harness slots. My 45+" tall 5 year old still has an entire harness slot to grow before he is anywhere near outgrowing it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC