High back boosters don't seem very safe...

Fran27

I 'finally' removed the harnesses of my kids' Britax Frontiers to switch to high back boosters... They're 6.5 and the crotch buckle was really starting to bother them.

I really wish I hadn't. It seems that whatever I do, the belt stays loose, I guess because it's going through the guide and over a couple parts of the seat and not in a straight line... Yes, it locks if I pull on it, but still, it just seems much less safe than the harness was... and it's not saving me any time either, as I have to tighten it as much as possible every time anyway... and there's no way they can do it on their own (heck DS can't even buckle himself).

Am I missing something? Is it just my car's seat belts or something? The one on DS side doesn't retract easily.

ADS

Baylor

IT is not less safe when used properly for an appropriate aged, size and mature child.

6.5 is a good booster age. I think the issue you are having is not at all about the fact that they are using a booster but that that booster may not be a good fit for your car with the way the seat belt is routed. Have you tried another position in the car?

Fran27

Well there are two of them, it's a Toyota Sienna and they're on the two captain seats. There isn't really another option.

Dillipop

Unfortunately, the frontier seems to be a booster that really doesn't work well for a high number of kids until the harness is fully outgrown. That might be the problem you are running into. It might work ok but the fit gets dramatically better when the child's torso is about the size it would be to outgrow the harness. In your situation, I'd either go back to using the seats harnessed or get dedicated high back boosters such as turbo boosters which tend to fit kids of all sizes well.

Keeanh

Unfortunately a lot of people don't like the Frontier as a high back booster. It's so big & unwieldy, and difficult to buckle. In your vehicle, the belt guides obviously aren't lining up well. You could try the seat in different positions. But I think you'd be much happier with a dedicated booster. In 4 years, I've used my Frontier in booster mode twice and everyone hated it.

BMWBig6

Unfortunately, the frontier seems to be a booster that really doesn't work well for a high number of kids until the harness is fully outgrown. That might be the problem you are running into. It might work ok but the fit gets dramatically better when the child's torso is about the size it would be to outgrow the harness.

Not to threadjack, but do all combination (harness) seats suffer this ailment? Or is the Recaro Performance Sport better in this regard (compared with the Britax Frontier)? Are the new Frontier 90's any better than the old 85's, or do they share the same design (and thus the same drawbacks/limitations)?

arly1983

Not to threadjack, but do all combination (harness) seats suffer this ailment? Or is the Recaro Performance Sport better in this regard (compared with the Britax Frontier)? Are the new Frontier 90's any better than the old 85's, or do they share the same design (and thus the same drawbacks/limitations)?

No, I don't think so.

The Nautilus was pretty great as a booster in my experience. I think it depends on combination seat.

But in general, it does seem like its easier to get a good fit to both child and vehicle with a dedicated booster. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC