Mazda 5: second row

roxymoon

We just bought a Mazda5. The manual states that second row seats must be slid back as far as possible for car seats but have read on this blog that those who use LATCH are comfortable pushing seats more forward.

When second row seats are back as far as possible, there's basically no leg room for passengers or another car seat in the third row.

Do people still agree that this is an acceptable practice?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
From what I was told, Mazda's concern was that if you install in the second row with the seatbelt, then push the row back, you'll have a loose install. They don't want that, so they recommend installing all the way back.

I had no issues with LATCH to move the seat forward.

Wendy

Keeanh

I have a Mazda 5. I feel totally comfortable putting the seat forward and then installing. As Wendy said, Mazda is simply trying to prevent people from installing and then moving the seat back. When really this is a possibility with many vehicles out there. And you should be checking your install every time you use a seat anyways. Just a quick wiggle to make sure nothing's moved or unbuckled. And of course loosening an install by moving the seat isn't even possible with LATCH.

Dillipop

I also own a 5 and am comfortable moving the middle row up if needed when a child restraint is on it. However, my kids are older so I tend to have te booster rider and 5 stepper in the middle row and my rearfacer and ffing harness kiddo in the third row. This way, the seats can move wherever in an attempt to get everyone enough leg room and safe belt fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC