Regal Ride/Touriva Question

babychild taxi

Hi,

I'm loaning my RR to a co-worker who has her 13 month old niece coming to visit tomorrow. They want her FF, although I did tell Auntie about the safety benefits of RF.

Anyway, since baby is small, can I place the harness slots in the middle slots? I couldn't find anything in the manual to say that is unsafe as long as they are at above shoulders for FF.

Please send your knowledge!

Thanks,
K.

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Hi,

I'm loaning my RR to a co-worker who has her 13 month old niece coming to visit tomorrow. They want her FF, although I did tell Auntie about the safety benefits of RF.

Anyway, since baby is small, can I place the harness slots in the middle slots? I couldn't find anything in the manual to say that is unsafe as long as they are at above shoulders for FF.

Please send your knowledge!

Thanks,
K.

If you look at the back of the seat you should see a big plastic ridge just under the top slots that will be the reinforcement for forward facing use... is there anything like this under the middle slots?

Can you take a picture of the back of the seat and post it?

babychild taxi

I couldn't find anything on the back of the seat indicating reinforcement of the slots. I am going to go with what Budgiestew said and put the harness at the middle slot (as my manual says the same). Thanks

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I couldn't find anything on the back of the seat indicating reinforcement of the slots. I am going to go with what Budgiestew said and put the harness at the middle slot (as my manual says the same). Thanks

I would be more concerned with making sure that middle slot is indeed reinforced. Just be sure that your manual is indeed saying the middle slot is okay to use... it's hard to give advice if you don't have the seat/manual in front of you when you are online.

cdncasper

When it comes to those seats I normally tell them that if the child fits in the seat with the harness in the bottom or middle slots than said child should be RF--as long as they have an inch of shell over head and they are under the weight limit. If they are that small that they can't use the top slot than chances are they are too small to be FF.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

As others have mentioned, it's important to find out FOR SURE if you have a model that only allows the top slots to be used ff'ing. If the middle slots aren't reinforced, you're looking at ejection when the harness pulls through the shell - not a pretty picture. If baby needs the middle straps and they aren't reinforced, then the seat doesn't fit her ff'ing and she'll need to use it rf'ing. (If that top set of slots is up at the bottom of her ears then they're too far above her shoulders.)

It's definitely worth it to look at the back of the shell - if only the top slots are reinforced, it will be visibly noticeable.

santecno

My RR states only the top slots for forward facing. Visually I can see that only the top slot is reinforced.

Aren't Scenera's the only seat where the lower slots are reinforced? Good luck with calling their CS because I got a lot of mis-information from them when I called them. That was a while ago, but I've heard recent stories to.

babychild taxi

Hi, As I mentioned previously, my manual and seat do not indicate anything about harness slots being reinforced or not for FF. It does indicate that for FF the harness should be at or above the baby's shoulders.

I will reinforce with my co-worker the value and safety of RF and see if I can get the seat in RF, not sure about top slots reinforcement for lower slots. If not, I will place straps at top slots saying it is likely they will be too tall for baby.

K.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hi, As I mentioned previously, my manual and seat do not indicate anything about harness slots being reinforced or not for FF. It does indicate that for FF the harness should be at or above the baby's shoulders.

I will reinforce with my co-worker the value and safety of RF and see if I can get the seat in RF, not sure about top slots reinforcement for lower slots. If not, I will place straps at top slots saying it is likely they will be too tall for baby.

K.

This is the thing though - in the scenario that baby's shoulders are below the middle slots, but only the top slots are allowed for ff'ing use, than the child DOES NOT FIT the seat. The safest seat is one that fits the child, fits the vehicle and will be used correctly every time.

If the above scenario of child needing middle slots but only the top ones reinforced applies, than this seat is NOT SAFE to be used ff'ing with this particular child. The only safe mode to use this seat with a child that size, is to use it rf'ing.

If this is the scenario that applies, then my personal approach would be to try the child in the seat to see what harness height she needs. If it's the middle slots and they're not allowed, then just state as a fact "I see she doesn't fit this seat to use it ff'ing, we'll install it rf'ing so that she fits it properly."

If a seat doesn't fit properly, and isn't being used properly, I don't care what brand of seat it is or how safe the seat might be when used properly, said seat would be unsafe - potentially deadly. If they're looking to you to provide a seat for them, then they need to know if they want to use the seat in a mode not allowed that it could cause their child to be killed in an otherwise survivable collision. :twocents:

(Sorry to be blunt, but I think the point of the previous posts maybe wasn't being completely understood in regards to the seriousness of this fit issue. It's not something to say oh well, I'll let the parents know the seat doesn't fit ff'ing, but here ya go - it's a this seat doesn't fit her ff'ing, we'll have to put it in rf'ing issue. Personally, I'm not sure I could lend a seat knowing that it was going to be used incorrectly and didn't fit the child. It'd be a hard debate with myself, that's for sure...)

BudgieStew

This is the thing though - in the scenario that baby's shoulders are below the middle slots, but only the top slots are allowed for ff'ing use, than the child DOES NOT FIT the seat. The safest seat is one that fits the child, fits the vehicle and will be used correctly every time.

If this is the scenario that applies, then my personal approach would be to try the child in the seat to see what harness height she needs. If it's the middle slots and they're not allowed, then just state as a fact "I see she doesn't fit this seat to use it ff'ing, we'll install it rf'ing so that she fits it properly."

(

Well said...

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Trudy worded it perfectly... if you do NOT have middle slots that are re-inforced and the child is below those middle slots, then the child can NOT use that seat FFing.

babychild taxi

I gave the seat to my co-worker, explained/showed how to install it, discussed harness heights, etc. I gave her the manual as well. She was going to have her brother (baby's dad) decide which position to place baby and she was going to ask some other people as well re: harness. I strongly said that the top slots may be the only ones re-inforced for FF. and baby may need RF.

The people involved are all educated adults (ie:paediatric occupational therapist, etc) who will read the manual (which clearly states that the harness should be at or above baby's shoulders-no word of top only or note on back of seat). If for some reason if it doesn't work, they will rent one for the week.

K.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC