Importing costs

Hazelandlucy

I am pretty sure I want to bring over a Britax Max Fix 2 for the rigid latch/load leg/ rebound bar/leg room combination. I can't shake those downward rotation studies. I will be in the UK over Christmas and can bring it home with me, although will be a big pain getting the box to the airport on a train or small car with our luggage. How much would it be to ship a 26 lb seat from England to the US? Anyone have an idea?

ADS

Hazelandlucy

Since it seems like you are not facing budget constraints, I would just order one from carseat.se and skip lugging it around.

They are marked up a bit on that site compared to buying in a UK store. I think I will buy one on Boxing Day and just ship it home myself at the post office. Just curious how much that tends to cost.

1mommy

Well just checking out the carseat.se site out of curiosity they charge you between US $130 and $150 for shipping so I'd use that as an estimate. Seems about right for a heavy bulky package.

jwilliams

Well just checking out the carseat.se site out of curiosity they charge you between US $130 and $150 for shipping so I'd use that as an estimate. Seems about right for a heavy bulky package.

I think that it would likely be more than that for an individual to ship a car seat across the Atlantic.

creideamh

The MaxFix sometimes appears on Amazon.co.uk as eligible for AmazonGlobal (very reduced shipping cost). You just have to watch the site for a bit to see when it becomes eligible, and it's completely random as far as I can tell. Usually comes up around $430USD total.

Adventuredad

Max-Fix 2 weigh around 14 kg, count on shipping/aircraft weight of 15-16 kg (33-35 lbs). Customs and import charges are small change if you bring it in "legally". In my experience customs in US never even look at the car seats and they sail straight through customs. I don't know if that also apply from UK but it's very likely. Also depends a bit on how the retailer is shipping the seat. Fedex, UPS, Royal Mail, other courier?

Checking the seat as luggage is fine. These are car seats which have passed the ultra strict Swedish Plus Test, where most foreign seats end up in pieces on the floor, with a brutal crash puls and 40G forces. It's not delicate glassware.

This does in general work very well when shipped in a car seat bag with bubble wrap and extra padding of clothing. When my kids were young we always brought two Britax Hi-Way with us on trips all over the world. Lots of those to US. Did 60+ flight in a few years and it worked great.

But HW is a very light weight seat with a simpler construction. Bringing Isofix seats on planes, weighing more than twice as much, is not as easy and also the higher weight can create some other issues.

Prices in UK for Max-Fix are lower than here. This has to do with the "recommended" price and also the cost of purchasing the seat from the manufacturer. Both of these are far lower in UK. It will likely be quite a bit cheaper for you to by the seat in UK and bring it with you although the VAT can probably not be deducted in the store. Check with the airline how much charges are and also if you can gate check the seat. We charge 95 Euros for shipping (around 130 USD).

Regardless of where you purchase the seat make sure the leg spacer is included. Britax have done a nice job with this one. Not only does it look good but it also creates a few extra inches of leg space for the child.

Good luck!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No, it's generally not okay to check a carseat as luggage, even if it is in the original box.

Why not?
I recommend against it if you are going to a destination where they might lose your seat, but after working retail, I can see there's nothing a seat doesn't undergo in it's first trip from the factory that could be worse in a plane.

Hazelandlucy

Max-Fix 2 weigh around 14 kg, count on shipping/aircraft weight of 15-16 kg (33-35 lbs). Customs and import charges are small change if you bring it in "legally". In my experience customs in US never even look at the car seats and they sail straight through customs. I don't know if that also apply from UK but it's very likely. Also depends a bit on how the retailer is shipping the seat. Fedex, UPS, Royal Mail, other courier? Checking the seat as luggage is fine. These are car seats which have passed the ultra strict Swedish Plus Test, where most foreign seats end up in pieces on the floor, with a brutal crash puls and 40G forces. It's not delicate glassware. This does in general work very well when shipped in a car seat bag with bubble wrap and extra padding of clothing. When my kids were young we always brought two Britax Hi-Way with us on trips all over the world. Lots of those to US. Did 60+ flight in a few years and it worked great. But HW is a very light weight seat with a simpler construction. Bringing Isofix seats on planes, weighing more than twice as much, is not as easy and also the higher weight can create some other issues. Prices in UK for Max-Fix are lower than here. This has to do with the "recommended" price and also the cost of purchasing the seat from the manufacturer. Both of these are far lower in UK. It will likely be quite a bit cheaper for you to by the seat in UK and bring it with you although the VAT can probably not be deducted in the store. Check with the airline how much charges are and also if you can gate check the seat. We charge 95 Euros for shipping (around 130 USD). Regardless of where you purchase the seat make sure the leg spacer is included. Britax have done a nice job with this one. Not only does it look good but it also creates a few extra inches of leg space for the child. Good luck!

I am so confused about the weight! Britax says on their website it weighs 12.2 kg. I emailed and asked if that included the base and they said yes. This was the response "I can certainly confirm that the Max-Fix II weighs a total of 12.2kg and this is for the whole unit" It's only worth it for me if it does weigh 12.2! Have you actually weighed the seat yourself? It's really 14 kg?? Please say no!

I am hoping to check it for free as the baby's 1 piece of allowable free luggage (bought her a seat).

What are your thoughts on a foot prop in a Honda Odyssey? There is a spare tire compartment but it's covered with plywood or something similar.

image-1543834380.jpg

I don't think the leg will be directly over it, but not positive.

Is there any safety requirement in the US that the seat doesn't meet? Is there side impact testing yet or is that just for isize seats? I am also considering the Isize Maxi Cosi 2 way Pearl and wondering whether the Isize test, which seems so stringent, is comparable to the Plus Test? That seat seems so easy to install with the lights and sound effects! Although it would basically just be for the baby with it's heaviness.

Last edited:

newyorkDOC

Considering AD owns carseat.se I'd say his estimation of seat weight is likely more accurate that britax customer care ;) they likely have no included the box, manual, and any other packaging materials.

Hazelandlucy

Considering AD owns carseat.se I'd say his estimation of seat weight is likely more accurate that britax customer care ;) they likely have no included the box, manual, and any other packaging materials.

I am just trying to figure out how long I can use the seat with out latch limits. If the seat weighs 12 kg I have until close to 40 lbs, if it weighs 15 kg, I basically can't use it at all.

newyorkDOC

AD said it weighs 14 with a shipping weight of 15. But I'm sure if you ask him he would weigh it for you. But I'd email him through the website as I think he's not on here everyday.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC