Need booster w/5-point harness for 4-foot-tall six year old

P

pcbro

Hi all -

We have one child, six years old, and a 1996 Jeep Cherokee with only a lap belt in the center of the rear seat. We would like to find a seat that would accomodate someone her size and can be used with the lap belt.

Apparently Eddie Bauer/Costco made one a couple of years ago, but it's been discontinued. The only one I've been able to find is the Britax Husky. Are there others out there that I've missed?

Thanks much -

Tricia in Chicago

ADS

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
Hi,

How much does your daughter weight? The Britax Marathon and the Britax Wizard both harness up to 65 lbs. The Nania Baby Safety Airway harnesses up to 50 lbs. I recommend trying your child in these seats before purchasing, if at all possible.

HTH some,
Sara

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The Husky is probably the best option for a 5-point harness. Unfortunately, you must have a top tether to use the Husky for a child above 50 pounds. That may not be possible in a 1996 Cherokee, since my information indicates tether anchors are only available for the outboard seating positions.

There are a few other options. What is the weight of the child?

P

pcbro

She weighs 54 pounds. (Sorry for theduplicate posting - I didn't see the 'reply' button yesterday.)

Thanks much -

Tricia

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I don't have any great options. The Husky is the best choice as it would allow your child to use it the longest. Unfortunately, the top tether may be a problem.

The Britax Wizard/Marathon might be options, but your child could outgrow them by height even before the 65 pound limit.

An ez-on vest is possible, too ( http://www.ezonpro.com ).

A Britax Laptop is also a possibility if you can find one on ebay. It doesn't have a 5-point harness, but it can be used with a lapbelt. We plan to auction another starting this weekend ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2382760242 ).

P

pcbro

What about this, from the EZ-On folks?

Columbia Orthopedic Positioning Seat
For children 20-102 lbs., up to 5 ft. tall.
The orthopedic shell features a stylish, washable cover; padded head supports are adjustable, removable.
Safety harness positions easily.
Can also be used in Pogon, MacLaren and Convaid strollers or in a wheelchair with removable arm rests.
FAA approved.

http://www.ezonpro.com/carseats/index.html

An additional complicating factor for us is Illinois's new car seat law, effective last month, that requires booster seats for children under 8 years old. I'd need to look into whether the non-booster-seat restraints you mentioned would qualify.

Thanks for all you help -

Tricia

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I understand wanting to keep her in the center, but if your window seats have shoulderbelts, have you considered the Britax Bodyguard? It's a booster designed and tested for side impact protection, and is really a quite-secure booster. It will also last longer than the Husky for both height and weight.

Anyway, just something to consider :)

P

pcbro

CPSDarren said:
The Husky is probably the best option for a 5-point harness. Unfortunately, you must have a top tether to use the Husky for a child above 50 pounds. That may not be possible in a 1996 Cherokee, since my information indicates tether anchors are only available for the outboard seating positions.

We've had a succession of seats we've used in the center while attaching the tether to one of the the loops in the left or right rear of the car. Am I hearing that that's not okay, that the tether has to go straight back from the seat? Thanks - Tricia

I

Iansmom

I see the recommendations for a Huskey but I the Britax website says that the Huskey is not FAA approved.

What would be your recommendation for a seat with FAA approval

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
My manual says that Jeep has retrofit tether anchors for the outside seating positions. They are mounted in the ceiling, and Chrysler policy is to install at least one for free on most 1989 and newer models. Whether or not you can use one of those for the center spot is unclear. You would have to see if a dealer or Chrysler has more details.

In general, it's better to use an off-center anchor than none at all. On the other hand, if the manufacturer does not permit using an off-center anchor, then we follow their instructions.

The Marathon and Wizard have the highest weight and height limits for an FAA approved model, as far as I know.

P

pcbro

I just got off the phone with Britax customer service, and they say that the tether does not have to go straight back; it can go at an angle.

I talked to Chrysler as well, and the cargo tie-downs we've been using for tether anchors are not appropriate for this purpose. But we're scheduled to get the retrofit tether anchors next week. You pay $7 for the part, and the labor is free. They're put on the sides, not the center, but according to Britax, that's okay.

There may be still more hidden complexities, but this is definitely progress. Thanks for all your help.

Tricia

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
At least for the first one, the parts and labor should both be free. My manual refers to Technical Service Bulletin 23-08-00 Rev. A for details on the dealer reimbursement policy.

While it is generally OK to use an offset anchor, the ultimate authority is the auto manufacturer. For example, it is possible the anchor in a particular vehicle was not rated or tested for forces applied from the side in addition to those from directly in front. It might be worth consulting Chrysler directly, the number I have is 1-800-992-1997. You might also try a dealer with a technician, some can be found at http://www.fitforakid.org .

Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC