Plastic Buckle Tongues - Safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Londovir

My wife and I are expecting our first in October, and so we're all new at this whole business!

We just got back from shopping and noticed a Safety 1st Travel System stroller we really liked, but were a bit concerned about the 5-point harness system it uses. Unlike many metal tongue types (just like your regular car uses), this one uses an overlapped pair of plastic tongue "halves", so to speak.

Basically you have to overlay the right side of the plastic tongue with the left side, hold them together, and put them into the buckle. It seems to be a difficult buckle for us to do (we've practiced in the store a few times), and frankly I'm paranoid about the quality of the hardened plastic tongues - I just feel that metal is safer.

Two questions. First, are there any safety concerns with these plastic tongues? Obviously I know they have passed all safety regs, but I just have this mental image of the plastic not being reliable to stresses and aging. Second, is it ever possible to replace the 5-point harnessing in the car seat with a metal buckle style? I know the rule-of-thumb is that harnesses are specfically crash tested in conjunction with the seat itself, but it's almost heartbreaking for us to pass up an otherwise adorable (and likable) travel system over a single buckle tongue.

Thanks for any advice/pointers,

Jason Karol

ADS

ThreeBeans

There are so many better infant carriers out there that I can't in good conscience recommend that one.

Have you checked out Graco SafeSeat One? It's rated to 30 lbs and 32 inches and will easily get you through the first year before you must buy a convertible :)

all together ooky

We usually recommend that you choose the infant seat and stroller separately. If you buy a travel system you will either be happy with the stroller OR the carseat, not both.

The infant seats that are the easiest to use, install, and fit babies well are: Graco Safe Seat 1 (will last most kids well past a year), or the Chicco Keyfit (won't last as long, but is super easy to install and use).

My opinion is to only use the carseat for the car and get a good stroller that the baby can lie down in. It is better for their heads and spines. Or use a nice sling, pouch, wrap, etc. :twocents:

Otherwise, many strollers can be adapted for the infant carseats.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
There are also much nicer strollers that won't break the bank if that is a concern... maybe take a look at the stroller forum and make a new thread stating what you want to use the stroller for.

cryswilkins

I know that no one has answered your question about plastic tongs, but I am not sure of the "right" answer. All seat have to pass the same test so I would not worry about them not being safe or the metal ones being safer. If you use the seat correctly then it will be the safest seat for your child.

That being said I had a Combi Centre for my DD with a plastic puzzle buckle and we never had a problem with it. Plastic has come a long way since its invention.

I also agree with the PP look into the SS1 or the Chico Key fit. I think that the Key fit is going to be coming out in a 30lbs version soon?? And most strollers that take 1 car seat will take them all. Everyone else is right, I LOVE my Combi stroller and only sort of liked the infant seat.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'm going to reitterate what's already been said -- that there are just nicer seats & strollers out there.... The Graco SafeSeat Step1 is a general favorite because it fits small babies well + also fits bigger babies longer: even if you don't carry baby in it, you can keep the seat at room temp during extreme weather & you can keep a spare base installed in each vehicle to make things easier on yourself. You can also use the longer time that baby fits this seat to save towards an excellent convertible + the SS1 installs in most vehicles really well & fits many strollers, too :twocents:

However, to answer your original question, crash testing does specifically address all buckles -- federal safety standards require that the buckle perform safely, so if the seat is being sold by a reputable retailer & includes stickers to the effect that it meets all applicable FMVSS then it's fine. That said, I stress again that there are just nicer options available :eek:

Loves2sing

My sister bought the same travle system as you 2 years ago, and I hate to tell you this, but she HATED it, still does actually. The stroller isn't very manuverable, and the carseat was a bit of a pain in the butt. If I were you, I would research a little more, and come up with something different. If you are really set on a Travel System, I would look at Graco. They have travel systems with the Safe Seat1, as previous posters have mentioned, that comes with a Quattro Tour stroller. The car seat is great, but the stroller is lacking. This is the travel system that I bought, and it sure beats the Safety First! The stroller does have the capability to lie down flat, and you can create a bassinet in it. It is fairly easy to manuever, although there are better strollers out there! It also has a large basket underneath for storage, and a function that allows to access the basket without disturbing your sleeping baby. In your case I would keep looking. Good luck, and congrats on your precious miracle!!

Beckers

I agree with the other posts, I don't think you will be happy with that stroller!

I really loved the Strap and Go
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2327597&cp=2255983.2256189
It can be used with most infant seats and is extremly lightweight
I don't think its worth it for 1 baby, but if it can be used more or sold later, its totally worth it.
We used this when the baby was asleep, and a sling if she was awake.

As for the plastic buckles, we had those on our Baby Trend Riged LATCH infant seat, and I felt completely safe. My thinking was if the whole car seat is made of plastic and has to hold the straps + baby, then a plastic buckle is fine. Of course it will degrade, but the seat will be expired by then :D

easterbun

Not that it really helps, but the Baby Trend Flex-Loc also has plastic buckle tongues (and it's a puzzle buckle) too.. I'm not personally worried about it, as others have mentioned they have to pass safety standards.

I might be more concerned with it if they were used on say a convertable seat, because they'd be expected to withstand greater forces, but on an infant seat I'm sure it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC