3 seats in a CIVIC sedan?

U

Unregistered

Hello All,

I have two children over 30lbs and we're expecting another. Any chance I could find a combination of carseats/boosters that would fit 3 across in a 2003 CIVIC sedan or am I doomed to own a minivan?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi. Sorry this got buried!

What are the ages and weights of the children? It's safest to use a 5-point harness until the child reaches 40 lbs.

A preferable set-up of seats would have the 2 oldest side-by-side in the center seat and either outboard position. The infant would then go on the other outboard side. I think that arrangement won't be possible in a small car, though.

If you have a Babies/Toys R Us near you, that would be the best place to start. They have a wide variety of seats and they let you try them in your car first before buying. Remember that when you try seats out, you don't want to just set them in the car--actually install them, since that will change how they all fit together. It will be very much like working a puzzle.

FWIW, I think the new Sienna is a fabulous minivan. I swore up and down when I was in my 20s that I would never drive a minivan and as soon as my ds was born, we ran right out and bought one, lol.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the reply. My oldest is 40lbs and the youngest is about 35lbs. I've read that the Britax Starriser is/was the thinnest booster available (13" at its smallest setting )but that it's now discontinued? Are they still available or is there a new similar model?

U

Unregistered

Sorry, forgot to add that the oldest is 4 and the other is 2 (big, I know!).

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Starriser is probably OK for the 4 yr old, but I would keep the 2 yr old harnessed for as long as possible. The reason is that at age 2, kids generally aren't mature enough to sit properly in a vehicle belt and they need the harness to keep them properly positioned. Your 4 yr old may not even be mature enough, but that's a call on your part obviously.

I'd still head on over to BRU if you have one nearby to try out seats. Does your Civic have a shoulder belt in the center of the back seat for the 4 yr old to use with the booster? I'm pretty sure it does, but if not, that creates some logistics problems, since you probably won't be able to fit 2 forward-facing seats side-by-side very easily (boosters must be used with shoulder belts). So, try your seats both rear-facing for the baby and forward-facing for the future.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC