25 lbs. - 11 months - Which car seat?

L

LSK525

25 lbs. - 11 months - Which car seat?

My husband and I are adopting a baby girl. She was 25 pounds at 11 months. When she comes home, she'll be between 14 and 17 months. What do you recommend? It seems to me she'll be in-between two sizes. Do I get an infant/toddler or toddler/booster? What brands and models do you recommend? I drive a Toyota Corolla '99.
Thanks.
Linda

ADS
C

Caviller

A convertible carseat may still be the best choice-

If your new daughter is still under 30 pounds, she will be safest in a rear-facing seat. Convertible seats can also be used front-facing after 30 pounds. Some, like the Cosco Alpha Omega and the new Britax Marathon can be used even longer after baby is too big to be rear-facing.

Please also try the "Carseat Basics" link under the top banner for some ideas, and links to other sites with specific recommendations!

Good luck, and congratulations!

Darren

R

Robert

Re: 25 lbs. - 11 months - Which car seat?

In addition to Darren, there are a few convertible seats that will rear face till 35 pounds such as the Cosco Touriva

U

UlrikeDG

I'd go with a convertible seat for 2 reasons...

1) Rear facing is safer! www.thematlocks.com/jenni...ndedRF.htm

2) Combo booster seats provide less sleep support, making it harder for a very young child to sleep in the car. A convertible seat will probably be a lot more comfortable at that age.

As for which seats are recommended, *my* top choices, based on my experience, as well as the reviews I've read are:

1) Britax Roundabout/Advantage. ( www.britaxusa.com/ ) These 2 seats have EPS foam (like you find in bike helmets) to help protect the head. They have built in locking clips, which make installation much easier in many vehicles. They have an *easy to use* tether which can be used both front and rear facing. They have straps which do not twist or wrinkle. They have a harness adjuster which is so easy to use that my 4 year old can buckle himself in and get his own harness *tighter* than the recommendation! (There are seats which take my full strength to tighten just barely tight enough. The recommendation is that you should only be able to fit one finger between the child and the straps at his collar bone.) The Advantage has "infinite" harness adjustablility (you turn a knob to move it up or down), while the Roundabout has regular "slots". Any harness slot may be used front facing (most convertible seats only have the top slots reinforced for front facing use.) They are very well padded. They are also very expensive—approximately $200 for the Roundabout and $250 for the Advantage.

2) Britax Marathon. ( www.britaxusa.com/ ) This is a brand new seat which can be used rear facing to 33 lb and front facing to 65* lb. (The other convertible seats I’ve listed can only be used to 40 lb front facing.) Like the Roundabout, it has built in locking clips, EPS foam a tether which can be used front *and* rear facing, non-twist straps, an easy to use harness adjuster. It is very well padded. It retails for $239-$250. It can be found at some TRU/BRU stores as well as baby specialty stores across the US.

3) Evenflo Triumph. ( www.evenflo.com/ep/on_go/...h.phtml?nf ) This seat has EPS foam. It also has a unique harness adjustment system that uses knobs and a "memory harness". I’ve heard that the system can take a bit of getting used to, but once you do, it’s great! That avoids the problem many seats have with adjustability. The Comfort Touch version is well padded, but it also costs a little more.

4) Graco ComfortSport (www.gracobaby.com/Section...TypeID=432 ) The straps on this seat are less twisty than many, though not nearly as nice as those on the Britax seats. The harness adjuster is also easier to use than some, but again, not nearly as easy Britax’s. The non-LATCH version of this seat, the Century Accel, may be purchased on clearance at some stores, saving you money. ( www.centuryproducts.com/S...TypeID=158 )

5) Cosco Touriva. (www.djgusa.com/coscocat/c...uriva.html ) This seat is much more difficult to use and has a lot less padding than any of the seats listed above. It also has a very difficult to install and adjust tether. However, it is significantly less expensive, and if you are diligent about making sure the straps don’t get twisted and in ensuring that the harness is tight enough each and every trip, it is not an "unsafe" seat.

The seats I listed above all have a rear facing weight limit of at least 30 lb (remember, toddlers *must* stay rear facing until they weigh at *least* 20 lb and are a minimum of 1 year old, and longer is safer). They are compatible with a wide variety of vehicles, though you should always make sure a seat fits in *your* vehicle before making a final decision. They all have reasonable harness slot heights (lowish bottom slots and tallish top slots). They all have a 5 point harness, which generally provides better protection in a crash than an overhead shield does (see www.thematlocks.com/jenni...shield.htm for more).

There are perfectly fine seats that did not make my list. Some have compatibility issues with many vehicles (but might fit your vehicle perfectly). Some have exceptionally low harness slots and might be outgrown much sooner than another similarly priced seat. Some are more difficult to use without being any less expensive. However, if you can say, "Yes," to each of the following questions, the seat may be the right one for *you*.

1-Does it fit your child?
2-Does it fit your vehicle?
3-Does it fit your budget?
4-Will you use it properly each and every time you go somewhere?

*Due to a typo, this originally said 60 lb; however, the Marathon *is* certified for use to 65 lb front facing.

L

LSK525

Hearing right?

Just want to make sure I understand. All 3 of you recommend a car seat up to 40 pounds exept for the Britax Marathon. So I shouldn't be looking at Century Next Step or Evenflo Express Comfort Touch that goes from 20 - 80?
Thanks again.
Linda

C

Caviller

That is right-

Remaining in a convertible up through the 30-35 pound limits of most models is safest.

Technically, your daughter can sit front-facing in a combination booster model harness. That option may save a bit of money in the long run, but won't be as safe initially.

Darren

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC